LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: January 16, 2020, 1:50 pm 

Mathsci wrote:
The rear end looks great! :? Like the bumper position.

Really sorry to hear about your painful paint experience. It's always hard when you pay a premium for a product and don't get what you pay for. Guess the good news is that it looks like the bodywork was done well...

Thank you BostonWill (Thom)... I'm enamored with this little car.. I know it's not that special or that rare, but it makes me smile every time I drive it, or even get a glimpse of it just sitting there.. I'm very fickle when it comes to projects- American, Japanese, Swedish... the next one is British.. having said that, I'd look closely at grabbing one of these if it is of interest to you.. good parts availability, a healthy fan base, rare enough to be unique, but not an orphan.. super simple mechanicals, a sexy little body, and still an affordable buy in (although prices do seem to be slowly rising).. Neat little cars that can still be daily driven should you choose..

Mathsci.. I, too, like the way the rear turned out.. a bit different than stock, but not a glaring deviation (unless you're a rabid purist)..

As to the paint- in the end I'm being quite picky about it- mostly because the end product does not yet match the $$ invested, and on some level I feel cheated... *To be fair to the painter- he did a great job on the bodywork- the panels all came out very nicely...

I'm optimistic that it will in fact turn out well with this professional paint correction.. I'm glad I tried my hand at paint correction, but to me it almost seems a black magic that I did not master very well :lol:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 13, 2020, 1:36 pm 

February 13, 2020

Just dipping in for a minor update on the build..

I gave her to a local body shop last month to do some paint correction/ wet sand... They did an outstanding job! I don't have pics yet as I haven't touched it since I got it back home (Jan 31)... It's been sitting in the garage untouched, with all of the chrome off.. I need to find the time to apply the ceramic coating, and then get all of the trim back on.. The Volvo has gone back-burner yet again, as other priorities have risen to the top of the list..

One of the priorities is to prep and sell our old F250 this spring.. she's a pig, and doesn't serve us a commuter vehicle.. Also, we sold the trailer that used to allow us to come camp at the beach... Now that we live on the coast, with no trailer, we have no need for a big diesel truck... So a few minor mechanical fixes (she needed a new glow plug #5 in the pic), and some polish and wax, and I'll see what she'll fetch in a few weeks..

Another priority (that I did not know was a priority) is now that we live in a mild climate (our last location was very, very hot 1/2 of the year), we obviously need a hot tub.. As a husband of nearly 29 years, I'm always a little surprised when I don't know what I want, but I've been told I want/need a hot tub.. The last time this happened, I was informed that I wanted a built-in pool.. the result was years of debt, and me fulfilling 'pool boy' duties at my house.. It's gotten to the point where instead of me suggesting, say, where we go for dinner, I just wait to be told what I want.

So we found a nice local lady who happens to be moving to Arizona, where the hot in hot tub is a punch-line redundancy, and for not very much money, we unburdened her of her 7' x 8' boat anchor, which is now in my back yard..

My wife is thrilled, the Arizona-bound lady is thrilled, and I am again a 'pool boy' of sorts..

Maybe one day soon my wife will want for me to want to get back to my car builds :lol:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 12, 2020, 5:02 pm 

3-12-2020

I've been putting the finishing touches on the body... polishing out the last of the flaws, applying a 'ceramic coating.' and reinstalling the chrome and odd bits.. I'll get a few current pics up soon.. She's come together nicely, although there are still several odd little things to do.. there are always several little things to do :roll:

So I've promised myself to get this little sweetie properly insured... It's a challenge because this is not the normal P1800- replacement cost would be more that KBB or NADA thinks it's worth; but then it falls into this odd insurance category of classic car insurance, where many companies think you shouldn't really drive the thing.. My challenge is I drive it all the time..

I've landed on "Grundy" insurance.. I have a fairly high 'agreed upon' value that I chose, and they afford me unlimited mileage. Heck, they even let me occasionally drive it to work, so long as I've got a separate 'primary' vehicle for that task... I don't want to this to sound like a commercial for Grundy, but if you've got a classic that you actually want to use (as opposed to a trailer queen), their business model might make sense for you and your driven vintage car..

So now I've got the comprehensive insurance this car should have always had :) .. The annual premium is super low, and the agreed upon value inspires confidence that should something ever go wrong, I'm well covered. They do require pictures of the car when you write the policy, but that would be expected..

Pics of the shiny polished princess coming soon :lol:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 12, 2020, 6:27 pm 

Dean,
I went with Grundy for pretty much the same reason. They would insure it for just about whatever I said it was worth. And mileage wasn't limited. However the license plate I have, a 1963 Washington state, carries mileage limits. Not sure what it is. Nobody has ever checked.

The P1800 is looking really nice.

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 13, 2020, 10:32 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Dean,
I went with Grundy for pretty much the same reason. They would insure it for just about whatever I said it was worth. And mileage wasn't limited. However the license plate I have, a 1963 Washington state, carries mileage limits. Not sure what it is. Nobody has ever checked.

The P1800 is looking really nice.

Cheers,

Thank you for the kind words Larry.. I'm finally happy with the paint and the way the whole thing is finishing out.. As for Grundy, such peace of mind to be appropriately insured :D

So here are some pics I took on the way home yesterday (3-12-20).. a bit overcast, but such fun to drive this little ray of light no matter the weather.. then again, I may be a tad biased :lol:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 13, 2020, 4:29 pm 

Just a second, let me wipe the drool from my chin..........there, very sweet looking ride Dean, good on you :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 13, 2020, 8:33 pm 

Anybody catch yesterday's 'Chasing Classic Cars'? They featured a P1800 that had 3.2 million miles on it. Not in the same league as Dean's but surprising none the less considering the mileage.

PostPosted: March 14, 2020, 9:45 am 

I think you named that build thread right! That is one sexy car! Love the rear end treatment.

PostPosted: March 15, 2020, 8:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I second that. I wish I had your energy!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 15, 2020, 8:35 am 

Job well done! its been a long journey, but the results are nothing less then fantastic! And how would you really describe the difference in engine performance and handling? Interesting point is, back in the 60's & 70's your old Volvo motor & trans were what people were swapping into early MG's!

How things have changed.

Thom

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 5:17 pm 

5-11-20

A few random things on the Volvo as because of the virus it's now mostly sat idle for the last few months :(

In addition to the Volvo we have several cars.. it's a little embarrassing really, because I've become that neighbor that every street seems to have; the guy who inexplicably has more cars than drivers at his house, and takes up a bunch of street parking.. I only mention this because having all of these cars sitting around and not being driven is still expensive when you factor in insurance.. It got me to thinking- maybe if I ask nicely, because we're really not driving any of our too-many cars anymore, perhaps our auto insurance can cut us a little break on our premiums for awhile? The rep was so cool.. it was as if they were expecting my call :lol: ..in the end, they cut our rates way down for the next 60 days, to be reviewed at that time.. it's just a few hundred bucks, but it made me feel good.. During these tough times, if you haven't already, calling your auto insurance and asking for a break on your premiums might be a call worth making :cheers:

A LITTLE LOUD, YA THINK?!!!

I feel a bit silly when I do it, but since I'm not driving it, I've taken to holding mini "Concerts in the Car" in the Volvo.. If you've followed this build log, you'll remember all of the time and effort I took to hide my stereo system/amps... I'm not saying it's the best system ever, but it's blissfully loud and clear... When this virus crap gets me down, I've found that I like to sit in the Volvo, in the closed garage, windows up, maybe drinking a beer, playing my favorite music as loud as I dare -this side of hearing loss...

THAT will pull you out of a funk! My wife and kids won't attend my "Concerts in the Car" series because they say I play it too loud, and I play the wrong music.. That's alright; a little Boston "Foreplay/Long Time," or REO Speedwagon "Roll with the Changes" sounds just fine without anyone there but 16 year old carefree me to soak it up 8)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 10:24 pm 

Thanks for the tip Dean. M guy says we are getting a 27% adjustment at due time. I'm paying a premium due to being over 75 thata really pisses me of.

Fully understand the car concerts. I do it a bit less enthusiastically as you and my music would differ (love Count Basie and Thelonious Monk).

Hang in there. We can do this.

Big Cheers!

PostPosted: May 12, 2020, 1:07 am 

benny_toe wrote:
I'm paying a premium due to being over 75 thata really pisses me of.

Larry, I'm waiting for that to happen to me. At what age does that kick in? I remember 20 or so years ago when my dad was in his 70's (he's in his 90's now), he gets this letter from his insurance company. They say "your rate is going up, you haven't had an accident so you should be due to have one". Can you believe that?
I feel your pain Larry, sorry for the hi jack ccrunner, BTW yesssss it is a sexy Volvo

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 12, 2020, 1:14 am 

Hey Perry, sorry Dean,

When I turned 74 I got a notice that it would be going up. Tried to change companys. The one that was strongly recommended said no thanks, we don't cover anyone over 75. I only drive 200 miles a year and only then in familiar suroundings. Except fot the Locost. Different insurer. They don't care about my age mainly because of the car.
YMMV

PostPosted: May 12, 2020, 1:39 am 

No worries guys- we've got insurance issues at my house too.. I put my oldest on my policy a few years back when she started driving.... WOW did the premiums go up!! :shock: ... We had been with Geico for 15 years at that point, so I called and tried to get the rates lowered (loyal customer discount/no tix/wrecks).... ANYTHING to get that insane increase to be a bit more reasonable.. They didn't blink and wouldn't budge.. It pissed me off more than a little, so I went insurance shopping and found a much, much better deal.. I should have done it years earlier..

Now you're telling me they'll soon be after me as I get a bit more seasoned in my lifetime accumulation of driving skills and experience?! What kind of crazy world is this? :ack:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next