LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 4:51 pm 

To be seen..

It will be a pretty rare occurrence that this wee car is out after dark. Even so, I'm trying an experiment with LED headlight bulbs in place of my bike's OEM H-4 bulbs. The idea is to be as bright and noticeable as possible, even in daylight.. truth told, ESPECIALLY in daylight. The OEM headlights are wired to constantly be on, so it's not even an issue of me remembering to turn them off- they function more as daytime running lights (DRLs) than anything.

You can see in the in-garage pics that the light is at very least much whiter at 6.5K (pic title is a typo).. Not sure if I'll stick with them.. at worst it's a $50.00 failed experiment; at best an improvement in being noticed in a too-small car.

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 4:56 pm 

I'm a fan of LED lighting.
I did similar to replace the candles-in-jars headlights that my F150 had from the factory.
My dad just did similar on my sister's Honda CR-V, huge improvement in visibility.

My plan is to source some for the Rotus when I get to that point.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 5:06 pm 

Closing body holes/ reshaping the rear section..

I've channeled 3" into the rear body section to allow the seats to be pushed back and give the passengers more legroom.. These are just a few pics of me carving up the body to gain precious inches on the interior..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 5:13 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
I did similar to replace the candles-in-jars headlights that my F150 had from the factory.
My dad just did similar on my sister's Honda CR-V, huge improvement in visibility.

Haha.. candles in jars is not too far off! :lol: I was reluctant to swap out to the LEDs because I HATE it when I'm driving and some idiot has his VERY, VERY, VERY bright retina-burning headlights aimed into my eye sockets, but I'm thinking the car will rarely see night driving, and I will be careful to aim them correctly. You can't really see it in the pic, but they do have a nice horizontal cutoff pattern that should not give other drivers grief.

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 5:30 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
JAMADOR wrote:

Haha.. candles in jars is not too far off! :lol: I was reluctant to swap out to the LEDs because I HATE it when I'm driving and some idiot has his VERY, VERY, VERY bright retina-burning headlights aimed into my eye sockets, but I'm thinking the car will rarely see night driving, and I will be careful to aim them correctly. You can't really see it in the pic, but they do have a nice horizontal cutoff pattern that should not give other drivers grief.

I forget the brand, but the ones I had in my F150 had a clean cutoff & I only got flashed once, when driving with a loaded trailer.
Hoping I can find some complete units in the proper style for the Rotus.

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 5:40 pm 

April 25, 2021

Obsess Much?! :shock:

I bought something VERY expensive for this car that I really didn't need. YOM license plates. It's embarrassing how much money I spent on my black-on-yellow, series 1956 vintage plates.

The game here in CA is to find a pair of old license plates that would have been assigned to your year car, and make sure that exact plate combination is not currently in use. If the plates are 'clear,' you can pay your 45.00 at DMV for the privilege of running old-school plates on your ride. So I found some beautiful old plates, swallowed hard, did what I rarely do, and just spent the damn money.

Here's how I rationalize it: The car is rare, the car is tiny, the plate will look artificially big on the car, either hide or accentuate the odd or ugly, 'modern' plates will look stupid on such a special little car, black-on-yellow plates are quite rare to see in CA, I can get every penny back if I ever sell the car to an out-of-state buyer, and damnit, I just think it's the right thing to do for this build.

If you think this sounds like me overexplaining this choice, you're right.. and you'd also be right if you're getting the sense that my wife found out how much these plates cost :|

I stand by my choice; YOM plates need to be on this car :wink:

So, now that that's out of the way, how to fit them to the car? Berkeley went the quick and dirty way by just slapping them onto the body.. no flow.. no graceful bracket.. just drill drill bolt bolt and bob's your uncle. I wanted to at least have the appearance of purpose, so I'm going to recess the rear plate into the body down low. The recess will also house the hidden LED license plate light, as well as the 'you can't see it unless it's lit' 12 inch LED third brake light.

Now it's time for too many pictures :D

*the plate used in the mock up is just an old garbage plate.. couldn't risk mussing up my special yellow plates :mrgreen:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 6:03 pm 

Last of the rear plate..

Eventually the recess will be made of fiberglass and will be formed into the glass body- this version is just mock up on this temporary body..

As an aside; can't wait to see how my dear wife responds when she learns I don't plan to run a front plate on this car, because front plates are 'ugly' :leave:

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 7:42 pm 

Ccrunner,
I love the look! Fantastic progress.

I did something very similar on my ‘57 MGA (MGiata) restoration a couple of months back. MG did the same thing (afterthought) on the license plate. That section already had damage from an old shunt, so doing this took less time then trying to restore the original line of the body in steel. I used Mustang license plate lights on each side (LEDs).

Where did you get that third brake light? I might steal that idea. I’m not sure about a front plate yet, they are mandatory here (NY) like they are there. I am also going bumperless, maybe just the overriders at the most.

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited by ohmite on April 26, 2021, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 7:56 pm 

Checked the mail today, no cookies yet.

PostPosted: April 26, 2021, 10:51 pm 

Ahem............Dean after I recovered from my psychedelic flashback of the seventies........
Attachment:
repl1.jpg

I realized your marker plate was on upside down. :rofl: :rofl:
Attachment:
0A26A536-8FC6-44C8-833E-2A0E4F365FA0.jpeg

Man I wish I had your stamina, good job

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 27, 2021, 11:37 am 

So, you're talking these:
Attachment:
56 CA Plates.jpg

Not these:
Attachment:
60 CA Plates.jpg

The black on yellow are actually the older style. Old enough to know [SIGH].

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 27, 2021, 12:48 pm 

What housings do you have those LED's mounted in? They look good on the wall. It is surprising to see what appears to be a better pattern out of the LED's than the H4's. Usually the difference in the source location/shape kills the pattern (part of why so many of the people out there with conversion bulbs just blind you with no real light going down range).

I see you have sequential plates on your cars? You must have registered 2 cars at once I'm assuming.

CT also requires front plates (gives a good target for the LIDAR speed traps, flat retro-reflective surface, easy pickings). Have gotten stopped once for not having one on my DD. Fortunately they were nice and didn't hit me for the ticket.

Beautiful work as always! (Even with the less than attractive "patina"...).

PostPosted: April 27, 2021, 1:54 pm 

ohmite.. the recess is a small detail, but makes all of the difference.. cleans up the rear of your car.. now flip that thing over and get MGiata (GREAT name!) on it's feet :)

--------------

JAMADOR.. cookies very soon :wink:

--------------

Perry.. sorry to send you on that 'trip'... the 70s are a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there..

--------------

Lonnie.. Yes, I have the top plate (1956 series; black on yellow).. the Berk is a 1959, so that's the plate for me.. As you know here in CA there's much lore over our old 'black plates'... I was even going to do YOM (legit, 'real') black plates on my 63 Volvo, but now that they've been reissued and are on everything from GMCs to Geos, they don't seem so special anymore..

--------------

duratc7... I've looked all over the place and I can't remember where I got the housings (I know it wasn't Ebay or Amazon).. not much help, I know... They are in fact 5.75" housings though, as I thought the 7" version looks too big on the car.. If it helps, here's a link to the bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQ ... UTF8&psc=1 ... I know it's a combo of housings and bulbs, but I'm getting a wonderful horizontal cutoff with these bulbs.. I didn't even notice the sequential plates! Yes, now that I think back, I did register 2 cars at the same time.. As for front plates- I'm just not a fan.. they're required here, but it's one of those things that's typically not enforced.. If the cop really wants to hassle me, the car is 'illegal' in several other more pressing ways :roll:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 27, 2021, 7:59 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
ohmite.. the recess is a small detail, but makes all of the difference.. cleans up the rear of your car.. now flip that thing over and get MGiata (GREAT name!) on it's feet :)

--ccrunner

I agree, I’m really happy how it makes the rear of the car look. I have a couple of more patches then prep and paint before I get it back on the frame. It will stay on the rotisserie til paint is done. The frame is already done, rebuilt Miata motor (running) and drivetrain already in.

I like the name so much I got a vanity plate with it for the car :mrgreen: . We don’t have YOM plates here, that would have been really nice too.
Cheers,
Eric

PostPosted: April 27, 2021, 10:35 pm 

Eric... I forgot to share where the 3rd brake light came from.. Here's the link:

https://www.customdynamics.com/red-led- ... ng?cat=430

Their website can be a little confusing, but if you poke around you'll find some good stuff. The exact light I'm using as my 3rd brake light is the 95 LED 12.20" version down their page at bit.. super slim and super bright. I used these on my N600 build as taillights, and I'm currently running one on my 1800 as a stealth 3rd brake light. Gives me peace of mind that I'm more easily seen- I have an almost inappropriate fear of being rear-ended :shock:

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 88  Next