LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: May 7, 2021, 10:44 pm 

Glad for you but a bummer your not bringing the GT. See you in a few days, Russ

PostPosted: May 8, 2021, 11:16 pm 

Russ, Looking forward to it. I should explain the car I'm driving now is the '79 tourer (convertible). The GT, a '69, is still years off. This '79 is just a small (I hope) diversion.

Another 70 mile trip today in the '79. 35 of them were in the dark and in the rain. Headlights work (kind of, since the wet roads have no reflection back to the driver) as do the wipers and the heater. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 1, 2021, 9:34 am 

Gosh! Where does the time go? The Gathering is over. We had decided to not chance driving the MG down and had resolved to driving the Escape for the weekend. Then the day before we left, my wife said why not tow the MG down and still get to drive the backroads in the MG. So that is what we did. We rented a dolly and towed it down. The MG performed flawlessly. And we had a great time visiting with old friends and meeting new ones.

Not much done on that car since then. We had some yardwork to catch up on. Mulching , small irrigation system to add in etc. Just yesterday we started to dig out the chips from the stumps we had ground out last Summer/Fall, and add topsoil and grass seed. 2 down, 2 to go. I actually got to work a small bit on the GT. I finished up the defroster vents and started CAD designing the A/C to hose adapters. I need to get my head back in the game for working on it. A lot of planning still left to do. And that takes some more purchasing.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 8, 2021, 10:43 pm 

I got back to the CAD and didn't like any of it. It was just going to be real difficult to feed the A/C to the center vents. There is simply not enough space the get from the oblong ports in the AC unit to the MGB rectangular vents in the center of the dash. All that while attending to a lateral offset tissue. Then yesterday I had an epiphany. I don't need to use hoses or adapters made to feed the center vents. I could build a plenum that sits over the A/C unit and will allow me to insert the rectangular vents directly into the plenum. I don't know why I didn't think of this months ago. I guess sometimes things come slowly to me.

This also solves another issue. I have 4 vents, 2 in the center dash that have flow controls and direction vanes (from the MGB) and 2 on the outer corners of the dash that just have directional control. But there are 3 ports in the Vintage Air. I could feed to ports to the center and one split to the end vents. Or the vice-versa. Getting good air flow distributed to all ports would have been iffy. By using a plenum fed by all three ports and putting a 2" port in both sides of the plenum will allow all 4 ports to be fed from the plenum sitting on the 3 Vintage Air ports.

I decided to go old school CAD and started cutting up some cardboard to check out my idea. It looks like it will work. I am in the middle of making up the real plenum. I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 8, 2021, 11:59 pm 

I love cardboard. With Amazon orders, no shortage. Looks like a good idea. If you walk away long enough you’ll come up with an idea. I love this stuff.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 6:07 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Then yesterday I had an epiphany.
You know Chuck, a few years ago I would have had to look that word up, but I are smarter now. I get those epiphanies when I'm sleeping, for some reason that's how I resolve most of my building challenges (you guys thought I was gonna talk racy rubbish using that word I just know it).
rx7locost wrote:
I don't know why I didn't think of this months ago. I guess sometimes things come slowly to me.
Ha ha ha, just ask a chicken, if you sit on an idea long enough somethings going to hatch outta it (never mind the rooster, he's got idea's all day long).

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 2:38 pm 

Are you using these blank plates on the rear of the sills?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 7:45 pm 

I've got them. Not put in yet. One reason is that I am waiting so I can shoot some rust preventative in there. Why do you ask?

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 8:15 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I've got them. Not put in yet. One reason is that I am waiting so I can shoot some rust preventative in there. Why do you ask?

They fit like garbage. Big gaps on the bottom and top by that flat part. I almost laughed when I fit it for looks. Like the whole sill thing, what a joke. If your wheel well is intact you can’t even fit it properly. Just so happens mine is open in that area due to rust. Idk if I should do my wheel well patch first or close up this sill.
Evidently these parts are all off of 1974.5 dies. Doesn’t matter what year you have that’s what your getting.

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 8:39 pm 

Steve, I think that part you showed may be from Steelcraft. The MBxx part number is a dead giveaway. It is not from factory tooling. Factory parts would have part numbers HZA260 (RH) and HZA261 (LH). You had me go and check. My parts are also marked with MBxx part numbers but not from Moss. They may look better than yours. Based on the paint used , mine may be from another vendor who uses the Steelcraft numbering system. Like some use the Moss numbers. Just curious, what is printed on that 3rd sticker, the one under the 2 Moss stickers?

PostPosted: June 9, 2021, 10:30 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Steve, I think that part you showed may be from Steelcraft. The MBxx part number is a dead giveaway. It is not from factory tooling. Factory parts would have part numbers HZA260 (RH) and HZA261 (LH). You had me go and check. My parts are also marked with MBxx part numbers but not from Moss. They may look better than yours. Based on the paint used , mine may be from another vendor who uses the Steelcraft numbering system. Like some use the Moss numbers. Just curious, what is printed on that 3rd sticker, the one under the 2 Moss stickers?

It says made in Great Britain. Hmm. Interesting on the numbers. Well I’ll weld it all up I guess.

PostPosted: June 10, 2021, 9:02 am 

Steve, Steelcraft is still made in G.B. by Taylor Pressform Ltd. They are a 3rd party company making replacement sheet metal and made their own tooling. The "Heritage" (British Motor Heritage, aka BMH) panels are pressed using original factory tooling and are quickly identified by their "Heritage" sticker. It can sometimes get a bit confusing because BMH is the sole distributor for the Steelcraft parts. The factory, and as a result BMH, never made rust repair panel tooling and, as a result, only supplied full size stampings and assemblies off of original tooling. There are and still are various 3rd party companies offering partial panels and full panels, each with varying levels of accuracy. If you buy any "rust repair" piece, like a dogleg or lower front fender panel, it is decidedly from a 3rd party. FWIW, both Heritage and Steelcraft panels are primed with a electrophoretic primer which is satin black and is pretty tough. It can be scrubbed and then painted. My sill ends are flat black and no better than a cheap rattle can temporary paint, so not of Heritage or Steelcraft origin.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 10, 2021, 9:59 am 

I guess there isn’t anything there surprising other than the fact I didn’t know heritage wasn’t making rust repair panels. The black coating is E coat. It’s great stuff. Take off as little as possible.
I figured out the blank plates. Took me awhile to see it. I think once I bang it around a bit and weld it, should be fine.

PostPosted: June 10, 2021, 10:32 am 

That looks about right from here :mrgreen: As a matter of fact, I was just out taking pics for you of my '79 end sills to help. But you have it figured out now.

It was a surprise to me that it tilts forward at the bottom. But that is how it is supposed to fit. The center panel of the sill assemble is cut on a slight angle. You fabricated that part. If you were to have used it, it would have been a bit easier to picture the end cap fitting. If you look closely on the cap, there is a jog along the inner edge of the vertical face of the end piece that overlaps the sill flange where it was spot welded to the rear inner fender. If you (I) weren't mindful when welding that flange, it will cause some fitting issues that may need to be adjusted.

You are making good progress. Me, not so much. I'm on day "n++++" of figuring out the A/C ducting. I finally have it figured out now and the box is built. All I need now is to add the two 2" ports on the side of the plenum for the outer vents. Then I can move on to figuring out the type, size and location of the fuse/relay panels, PCM, Cruise module and HVAC hoses through the firewall. I recently discovered that the location of the PS motor will interfere with installing/replacing the brake master cylinder. Always something to figure out.

PostPosted: June 22, 2021, 9:11 pm 

Wife and I went on a trip visiting family and got back yesterday. I got a few hours in the garage today. I worked a bit more on the A/C plenum design and am 92% done with it now. I made it from aluminum. Before I rivet the box closed, it occurred to me that some condensation might occur. So I am wondering if I should add some insulation to control that. I have some 1/4" thick foam that I think would work well. Should I add it to the inside walls of the plenum or to the outside? I can glue it to the inside and I am leaning that way, mostly to minimize the outside dimensions which is already in a tight area. Any thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next