LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: February 18, 2019, 9:44 am 

Chuck,
Like you said, when the body work is complete, you'll know that it's right. No shortage of helpful articles and videos on the web.
What is your source for the PoziDrive screws? Do they offer drivers as well?
Ron

PostPosted: February 18, 2019, 11:57 am 

A story about Philips head screw driver. I have one Japanese manufactured driver that I love, my go to driver, I am pissed when I cannot find it. Super quality like all Japanese tools, has a thru tang so you can hit on it if you must. It just undoes screws better than any other driver I have owned or used, but I was never able to work out why, until I read a story on some web site somewhere. The standard Philips driver in the US has a taper tip to limit torque so you cannot strip the head. Japanese driver conform to the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) that has straight tips no taper. And with the power of Amazon you can buy JIS standard driver now. I have a set and they work like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Graham

PostPosted: February 18, 2019, 1:35 pm 

As I have a Japanese motorcycle (GoldWing), I too purchased some JIS screwdrivers.

The difference between them & Philips ones are subtle, but critical. As FastG mentions, the “corners” that form the points of the “star” do not taper like they do on Philips screwdrivers. As a result, they “lock in” to the screw, filling the screw’s hole completely, and do NOT torque themselves out....or round out the heads of the screws!

While you can use Phillips screwdrivers on Japanese screws, it’s not a good idea. JIS screwdrivers, on the other hand, work far better on Phillips screws than Phillips screwdrivers do.

Realistically, the best course of action would be to discard all our old Phillips screwdrivers & replace them with JIS ones. There’d be a lot less stripped out, rounded out & broken screws in our lives (not to mention the joys of drilling out remains, etc.).

Kind of like tossing out all the cheesy, dollar-store, vague-sized 12-point sockets & replacing them with quality 6-points. As the tool guy says, “You can pay me now, or you can pay me a lot more later.”

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 18, 2019, 6:18 pm 

I bought a $25 #2 Phillips back in the day when I was doing tons of computer repair.

Why so much?

Because there was a huge quality difference. I rarely if ever stipped out a screw head with the good screwdriver, but the el cheapos wore quickly and then they slipped and wore out the screw heads. There were subtle ridges on the screw tip faces, and the steel was much less resistant to rounding off.

So yeah, I'm wondering if the difference between the 'merican stuff and the JIS is not just the shape of the head, but other quality issues as well?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 18, 2019, 8:52 pm 

STranger7 (Ron), I haven't purchased any screws, just the drivers.

the #4 was just a bit: Wera 058020 #4 from kctoolco on ebay.

A set of handheld screwdrivers: GearWrench 80061 4 Piece Pozi Drive Dual Material Screwdriver Set on Amazon

a set of bits: Pozidriv set 0, 1, 2, 3 - 95007 from JB Tool Sales on Amazon

So far I've got no complaints on any of them. I've been able to remove 56 door hinge screws that haven't been removed in decades, possibly 50 years, with that #4 bit and it shows no wear at all.

I believe that both the Pozidriv and JIS tools work on the same parallel blade principle, with the major difference being the tip angle.

The proper use is to use the right screwdriver for the type of screw. The Pozidrive screws have 4 hash marks on the head between each slot 90 degrees apart. JIS screws may or may not have 2 dots between opposite sides of the slots 180 degrees apart.I'm no expert. I just read it on the internet. So it must be right, right?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 10:22 am 

A Brit car that needs rocker work, imagine my surprise. :lol:

Honestly, nothing looks to terrible so far. My old Spitfire floors were street signs held in by sheetmetal screws.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 11:24 am 

In used-car terminology, I estimate that this car is 98% rust free. I get there by estimating that 80% of the original steel is still in good shape. 18% of the original steel is just not there anymore. Only about 2% of the original car is currently rust. :cheers:

Too...., Nothing a few USD cannot overcome. I am amazed that virtually everything above the sills and wheel wells is in pretty good shape, even if not in their original "shape" after a few bumps and bruises over the years. I was expecting a lot worse.

I need to figure out where to purchase the replacement steel. I am leaning toward purchasing the sheet metal from the Brit market made on original factory tooling where available, and having it shipped, leaving out the USA middlemen. I think if I keep any individual shipments under $800US, there is no import duty, Does this sound right?

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 11:29 am 

Yesterday, I picked up a 2-ton cherry picker and a 2nd engine stand on Craigslist for a total of $110 :headbang: I am looking at possibly making a body rotisserie from the engine stands. If I don't choose to do that, I can always resell one of them on Craigslist :cheers:

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 12:19 pm 

Chuck, you might want to call Gordon at the B Hive in Clemson SC. He may be able to help with sheetmetal suppliers and he has enough pieces in his shop to build 4 or 5 complete cars. I bought everything from him when I was doing my 70B

Nevermind. I just learned Gordon has retired and sold his stock. Sad days for Brit car people in the South.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 1:18 pm 

All of the big aftermarket vendors supply Heritage replacement panels. There are a few partial panels onlt available through Steelcraft (interestingly, Heritage bought Steelcraft a couple years ago.) unless you want to cut down a larger, more $$ heritage panel

No need to shop overseas, but shop around. Some buyers have een able to get deals that are cheaper than Moss even with shipping from the UK. And shipping from moss is not inexpensive on big parts.

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 5:55 pm 

Chuck,
I think if you buy over $1400.00 worth from Moss, shipping is free.
https://mossmotors.com/ordering-shipping
Between the sheet metal, rebuild parts for the suspension, and the interior, you should be able to get there quick. I picked up a rotisserie with a 1970 gt that was made from engine stands.
Attachment:
rottr,01.jpg

Attachment:
rottr,02.jpg

I can take detailed pictures if you like.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 6:13 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice stand! Thanks for posting that Ron.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 19, 2019, 11:10 pm 

Ron, your GT looks very familiar.

Thanks for the heads up on Moss. I also see that they will automatically give a 10% discount if ordering over 1500 (some items do not qualify) and that applies to future orders for the next 12 months. They are still the high priced vendor.

Re: your rotisserie, How high are the pivots? Can you spin the car completely around? how wide are the bases at the wheel? and how is the balance? With no suspension? And where are the axis relative the rear and the front? Closeups of the mounting to the car would be helpful. How would you change things if you could? And..... do you deliver? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 20, 2019, 10:40 am 

In regards to Moss, you may want to seek out someone like Chris Roop or one of the other resellers. It used to cheese me off royally when I was in the parts business as the resellers weren't proper shops (didn't stock inventory, didn't handle warranty or returns etc), but they do typically offer a lower price than dealing directly with Moss.

And in terms of quality, unless things have changed in the last few years, the quality of parts from Vic British were usually lower than from Moss. Also, check out places like British Parts Northwest for hydraulic items, suspension bushings and some electrical. They tend to have good quality for less money.

PostPosted: February 20, 2019, 10:48 am 

Chuck,
The rotisserie pictures are from the Craigslist ad. It was intended to support the shell. The seller claimed it was easy to rotate. Looks like the roof would contact the lower connecting tube if a full spin was attempted. I'll take better pictures of the uprights and the pieces that the body is mounted to. When I do,I'll include measurements.
More pics
Attachment:
rottr,03.jpg

Attachment:
rottr,05.jpg

Attachment:
rottr,06.jpg

Do I deliver? Depends on who you talk to.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next