LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: June 14, 2020, 9:32 pm 

The T box is bespoke - there are no parts off the shelf that work. I wish there were....

PostPosted: June 14, 2020, 10:15 pm 

Multi-engine cars were also popular in drag racing for a time. (especially the early 60s IIRC)

In applications where maximum power is paramount, multiple engines can be the simplest and cheapest way to get the job done. Depends on lots of stuff.

You've probably already considered this, but I'll just throw it in: you'll want to make sure the drive train is as easily serviced as possible. Multi-engine machines are not a build and drive kind of deal, especially not in novel configurations. Stuff is probably going to break and/or not work in the initial stages.

That said, I'd really love to see you work it out and have an awesome, unique machine.

PostPosted: June 14, 2020, 11:17 pm 

Omaha Vette Graveyard wrote:
You've probably already considered this, but I'll just throw it in: you'll want to make sure the drive train is as easily serviced as possible. Multi-engine machines are not a build and drive kind of deal, especially not in novel configurations. Stuff is probably going to break and/or not work in the initial stages.

Yes, I am on your wavelength. I am not expecting her to be perfect first time - will need a few iterations to get the cooling of the oil temps right for the Tbox, there is a lot of meshing going on in there and lots of horsepower being transmitted so the heat load from the losses will need to be dealt with appropriately. A few pictures up shows the whole rear section - which unbolts really easy so that servicing is a piece of cake, I have spent enough time busting my knuckles in tight engine bays on all my other cars to know that having the whole thing sitting out on the floor is going to payback over the longterm. It all drops out on a scissor jack trolley.

PostPosted: June 19, 2020, 7:24 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
The T box is bespoke - there are no parts off the shelf that work. I wish there were....

how about buy a FWD base AWD car rear diff (EVO, STI... etc), and welded it lock?

PostPosted: June 20, 2020, 2:05 am 

The tricky part is getting the gear ratio right, most differentials are not 1 to 1 ratio, the exception is the Golf R32 rear diff, however that won't handle the 540Hp and 688Nm I am pushing through. If you have a gear ratio on the transfer box it messes up the overall ratios.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 5:38 am 

Lack of updates due to not having a chance to work on the project - my day job has required full attention post lockdown.

Good news is the gearbox has finally arrived in from the states, was held up at NZ customs due to spiders in the container - fumigation sorted them out.

Below are the calculated speeds at gear change when at 7500 revs. Top speed goal for the project is 200mph, which is in 5th at max revs. Aerodynamically the body design is capable of 240 mph, but apparently has an instability around 205mph (40/60 weight f/r in the McLaren F1 roadcar). Tweaking the position of the engines has pulled the COM forward so should be an improvement, although there really is nowhere local that will allow for 200mph runs safely.

Gear........Ratio.........Road speed (mph)
1st...........2.29..........71
2nd..........1.61..........102
3rd...........1.21..........135
4th...........1...............164
5th...........0.82..........200
6th...........0.68..........NA
7th...........0.45..........NA

The first gear ratio is roughly the same as the 2nd gear in my 2008 Accord which uses a single J35Z2 engine. I have been road testing at low revs/ speed on inclines lugging up the 1600kg kerb weight. I am confident that the long first gear will be fine with double the torque and less weight, plus I don't mind slipping the clutch , which is frowned upon practice in a real F1 with its carbon clutch.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 3:19 pm 

Any multi-engine setup will work - if you don't let it.

PostPosted: August 4, 2020, 9:31 pm 

Bobber wrote:
Any multi-engine setup will work - if you don't let it.

??

Today Gordon Murray Automotive revealed the T.50, with its bespoke 4L V12. Magnificent what millions of pounds of research and development can get you - I do not have that sort of budget so multiengine is the only option for me to retain the naturally aspirated response I am looking for from the powerplant. I certainly won't be able to rev to 12000 rpm in 0.3 seconds as his does, but my $/HP ratio will be vastly better.

PostPosted: August 14, 2020, 5:55 pm 

Attachment:
FUEL TANK FILL POSITION.jpg

The 65 litre fuel tank (outline visible) is sitting nicely in the middle of the car. The route the pipe takes from the normal fuel filler cap position to the tank is a bit convoluted and not very elegant - Unfortunately someone has stuck an engine in the way of doing a simple straight shot connection....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 23, 2020, 3:12 am 

Today I am compiling the appendices for the 4B design submission to the LVVTA. I will be applying for the build approval in the next few weeks as everything except the windscreen wiper arm mechanism is fleshed out in enough detail now.

Suspension and frame loads are not specified by the NZ regulatory body, however I based my analysis around multiple sources;
1) Costin and Phipps appendix 1 (oldie but a goodie)
2) Load case table from the ULSAS project that Lotus published (the most up to date reference)
3) an old SCCNZ scrutineering document (lots of really practical old school tips littered throughout)
4) 3rd Edition Australian Design Rules for torsion and beaming (68kg per passenger seems an underestimate for average weight these days.....)

Load cases were;
Curb Strike = 0.5g in X, 3g in Z - applied at tire contact patch (analysis of 2 cases - forward motion and front axle, rearward motion and rear axle)
Lateral Curb Strike = 1.5g in Y, 1g with weight transfer in Z - applied at wheel rim lower position - front and rear
Heavy Braking = 1.1g in X, 1g with weight transfer in Z - applied at tire contact patch
Severe Pot Hole = 1.5g in X, 4g in Z - applied at tire contact patch
Diagonal bump = 4g in Z - applied at tire contact patch (for those unexpected offroad excursions where velocity outpaces lateral grip)
6G at all shock mounts in direction of action at ride height

Static wheel loads are 338kg each at the front, 422kg each at the rear, in Gross Mass (GMV) condition. The forces the frame and suspension have been calculated to withstand are the acceleration values and directions above multiplied by the wheel loads (some are amplified by weight transfer also). These studies were conducted on the bare steel frame, which in reality will be stiffened and strengthened by composite panels, however I do not have the skills to study that more complex structure - so will measure the end result and compare to the bare frame design calcs to get the final signoff by the certifier.

PostPosted: August 29, 2020, 5:58 pm 

Hinge axis proved quite time consuming to lock in, done now so can detail the complex lower hinge and door latch tomorrow. Door sealing will be a whole project of its own.

Mucking around with CAD render settings, result below. Brake calipers and throttle pedal are not shown because they are not modelled yet - same goes for the internals of the door.

The sill is high to increase spaceframe stiffness and side intrusion resistance.

Attachment:
hinge progress.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 30, 2020, 2:29 am 

Was perusing an article about the Giocattolo from the late 80's when I discovered the creator has a new project, :shock:

Attachment:
when one just isnt enough.jpg

Attachment:
Marcella powerplant.jpg

Attachment:
marcella iso.jpg

www.go2hal.com - I sure admire his budget.

PostPosted: August 30, 2020, 4:11 am 

Doing the prep work to decode the cam signal positions that will allow the ECU to find the true position of the test motor during cranking/running. The Hall sensor for the cam (CMP) is the round object in the cutout at the 9 o'clock position. Theory is that the ECU will read the cam signal whenever it detects the crank trigger ( a 2 tooth gap on the 60 tooth wheel bolted to the crankshaft - so occurs every 360 degrees). The cam signal will either be on or off depending on the true position of the motor set by the blocks on the back of the cam pulley shown. The ECU can't tell the difference between TDC on 5 or on 1, but its important if you want to run sequential fuel injection and ignition. The Speeduino is currently limited to 9 timer channels so I am going to use 6 for fuel injection and 3 for ignition. The fuel will be sequential, but the ignition will be batch fire (where the ECU fires 2 spark plugs at once, one of which will be a cylinder on its exhaust stroke)

Attachment:
J35Z2 Cam signal.jpg

PostPosted: September 13, 2020, 5:58 am 

Finally determined the wiper area of the windscreen and the pivot positions, required to complete the design application for road compliance. The critical vision area of the windscreen is also shown.

PostPosted: September 13, 2020, 1:45 pm 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Doing the prep work to decode the cam signal positions that will allow the ECU to find the true position of the test motor during cranking/running.

Attachment:
J35Z2 Cam signal.jpg

Whata bizarre wheel pattern!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next