LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: May 11, 2021, 1:47 am 

Hi Spike - I've just come across your build - quite fascinating, and some amazing skills you have...
I've been fascinated by these cars since the mid-50s and, during a "Project Lull" eighteen years ago, decided to do something similar.
However I had a life-changing experience and was obliged to drop it.
Three years ago I picked it up again but I don't currently have anywhere to build... so I've spent three years designing and more designing... and then Morgan themselves produced their own copy, and my design changed drastically - to rear engine etc., etc...
While I'm still searching for a build location I'm thoroughly enjoying following other LocostUSA builders, including yourself.
Hope you are well - MangPong (this is the name of my car - it is Thai, where I live, for Scorpion...)

PostPosted: May 11, 2021, 2:05 am 

Before firing that engine with the Weber you will need to check a few things.
You will never get it to tune well if the float level is not correct and it cannot be assumed to be correct out of the box.
Correct fuel pressure for Webers is low, about three to four PSI.
Too high FP is very often what gives them a bad name.
Research your jetting and Venturi sizes carefully to avoid a possible lean condition!
Engine looks like a V-Twin, I hope it is a smooth running one. If not the Harley guys must have figured out how to avoid fuel frothing issues.

PostPosted: May 12, 2021, 1:24 pm 

Took Spikes table build sheet to Lowes (Florida) today and came up with a final price. Total includes all hardware and 32 fl ounces of glue.

$448.64......ouch the 3/4 ply is $65 a sheet !

Have to have it for a successful build.

PostPosted: May 12, 2021, 2:04 pm 

I had a 40 DCOE on a MGB and had to use a 3 psi pressure regulator.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324514589300?h ... Sw5k1cjwuQ

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 4:00 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
Before firing that engine with the Weber you will need to check a few things.
You will never get it to tune well if the float level is not correct and it cannot be assumed to be correct out of the box.
Correct fuel pressure for Webers is low, about three to four PSI.
Too high FP is very often what gives them a bad name.
Research your jetting and Venturi sizes carefully to avoid a possible lean condition!
Engine looks like a V-Twin, I hope it is a smooth running one. If not the Harley guys must have figured out how to avoid fuel frothing issues.

Thanks for the reminder...:D

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 10:19 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Hey Spike,

I've been catching up on your posts since April/20. How is it coming?

Carrying over the push-pull throttle cables was a practical carryover. Bike shops sell a cable oiler. Consists of an aluminum clamp that slips around the cable end and has a grommet that accepts a standard aerosol straw. A regular squirt makes a big difference with oem bike cables. I think wheel bearing grease would be much more lasting than the off-the-shelf aerosols that get sticky after a few months, forcing a relube. Repeat business assured! Maybe a needle tip on a grease gun using the oiler?

You can make nice pedal pads with poly, dimpled commercial truck mudflaps (bought mine from Ryder Commercial) with a slight countersink of standard rivets. Much longer lasting than oem pedal pads for sure and look professional.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 1:37 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Hey Spike,

I've been catching up on your posts since April/20. How is it coming?

Carrying over the push-pull throttle cables was a practical carryover. Bike shops sell a cable oiler. Consists of an aluminum clamp that slips around the cable end and has a grommet that accepts a standard aerosol straw. A regular squirt makes a big difference with oem bike cables. I think wheel bearing grease would be much more lasting than the off-the-shelf aerosols that get sticky after a few months, forcing a relube. Repeat business assured! Maybe a needle tip on a grease gun using the oiler?

You can make nice pedal pads with poly, dimpled commercial truck mudflaps (bought mine from Ryder Commercial) with a slight countersink of standard rivets. Much longer lasting than oem pedal pads for sure and look professional.

I have taken a break to build my greenhouse, but almost done with that. Built this from scratch.

Spike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 3:16 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Impressive! Did you soak 1x2 then let it dry in a jig for the ribs? Some kind of epoxy paint?

I guess you are zone 8-9 so not much you can’t plant directly. Is the green house for getting a head start for Spring planting? Tropicals?

I brought a forestry mulcher out to kick back the jungle. It’s made a huge difference in growth rate already. I planted some commercial northern high bush and southern low blueberries and more elderberry from rooted cuttings this year. Tried ground cherries for the first time and planted six of those as well. Grafted and planted about a dozen Asian persimmons in the cleared area. I’ve also been hand digging a full basement from a crawl space, replacing block pillars with steel columns.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 4:18 pm 

Impressive! Did you soak 1x2 then let it dry in a jig for the ribs? Some kind of epoxy paint?

I guess you are zone 8-9 so not much you can’t plant directly. Is the green house for getting a head start for Spring planting? Tropicals?

I brought a forestry mulcher out to kick back the jungle. It’s made a huge difference in growth rate already. I planted some commercial northern high bush and southern low blueberries and more elderberry from rooted cuttings this year. Tried ground cherries for the first time and planted six of those as well. Grafted and planted about a dozen Asian persimmons in the cleared area. I’ve also been hand digging a full basement from a crawl space, replacing block pillars with steel columns.

Yes, Zone 8A. But I didn't have to soak them, as long as I worked them from one end to the other, screwing each cross block as I go. If you try to bend the whole arch it would snap. But listening to, I've been slacking off...lol. Doing electrical this week.

Spike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 6:12 pm 

That's a work of art.

PostPosted: May 16, 2021, 8:10 pm 

Fliermike wrote:
That's a work of art.

Thank you. Momma said if I wanted a greenhouse, make it pretty. Got to make momma happy...:D

PostPosted: July 7, 2021, 6:50 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I understand practical considerations but I want to mention this in case you want to make a change down the road. There are some issues with the driveline that can cause rumble/tramp vibration through the car.

The guzzi uses a double cardan joint in the swingarm. Since the cardan is a cv whose operating angle cannot be adjusted to counter a standard ujoint operating angle at the other end of the shaft, the output should also be a cv since it wouldn’t be practical to rotate the rev box output shaft to point directly at the pillow block.
The rev box input should be a cv and the trans output should be a cv because the joint angle is greater than 1.5 degrees, limiting shaft rpm.

FWIW, the triking reverse box uses standard 1140 flanges. Since you already have flange yokes, it should be easy to fit double cardans at the rev box and another guzzi swing arm double cardan at the trans output but this would make the driveshafts too long.

I’ve seen odd yoke phasing before like Horcha mentioned a while back, used on steering shafts but not drivelines. I think it may be a bandaid to minimize the problem of the operating angle being too great. Time will tell. Leave yourself enough room for three double cardans just in case you want to change it later. Loctite the grub screws on the pillow blocks so the collars don’t ever slip on the shafts and wear them down, causing a vibration.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: July 7, 2021, 9:24 am 

I understand practical considerations but I want to mention this in case you want to make a change down the road. There are some issues with the driveline that can cause rumble/tramp vibration through the car.

The guzzi uses a double cardan joint in the swingarm. Since the cardan is a cv whose operating angle cannot be adjusted to counter a standard ujoint operating angle at the other end of the shaft, the output should also be a cv since it wouldn’t be practical to rotate the rev box output shaft to point directly at the pillow block.
The rev box input should be a cv and the trans output should be a cv because the joint angle is greater than 1.5 degrees, limiting shaft rpm.

FWIW, the triking reverse box uses standard 1140 flanges. Since you already have flange yokes, it should be easy to fit double cardans at the rev box and another guzzi swing arm double cardan at the trans output but this would make the driveshafts too long.

I’ve seen odd yoke phasing before like Horcha mentioned a while back, used on steering shafts but not drivelines. I think it may be a bandaid to minimize the problem of the operating angle being too great. Time will tell. Leave yourself enough room for three double cardans just in case you want to change it later. Loctite the grub screws on the pillow blocks so the collars don’t ever slip on the shafts and wear them down, causing a vibration.

The whole drive line came from triking, minus the swingarm. It is what they use on all of their models.

Spike

PostPosted: July 7, 2021, 9:49 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I know. You could improve on what they are offering, if you want to. That's all I'm saying. :cheers:

LxWxHt

PostPosted: July 7, 2021, 11:26 am 

That's a very impressive greenhouse. I'll bet you're wifey's total hero.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next