LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: MG GT V8
PostPosted: August 26, 2021, 10:12 pm 

I made a patch and cut out my boot, Ha. It seems like it’s taken a month to get back to it. I did make both of the sides of the box and welded in one of the side floors. More this weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: August 29, 2021, 4:38 pm 

A boot floor! So the step up is partially welded and the beaded section with the 2 sides are dry fit for size. It all works so that’s cool. I raised the floor up a couple inches to try and get a 20 gal tank in her. Ole Alice likes range she said. Tomorrow I’ll finish her off. I had to stop, I think I melted off a couple pounds this morning. I also put some por15 behind the sides while I can reach in and get it where I want. I’ll top coat it with some enamel and throw her together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 30, 2021, 8:46 am 

Looking very nice!

Thom

PostPosted: August 30, 2021, 8:52 am 

BostonWill wrote:
Looking very nice!

Thom

Thanks Thom. Hope you had a great summer

PostPosted: September 4, 2021, 8:18 am 

An all new boot is done. Next up are rear blinker holes, then I can do the driver side rocker and dogleg. Wow. I did do some coatings in the corners on the new repair pieces because I knew it would be a pain to get back there later. Ground down the surface rust and Por 15 with some enamel top coat. I don’t know if that’s right but it’s what’s done.
Hey what would you guys do with this inside sheetmetal? I’m thinking grind it all down or at a minimum wire wheel it and enamel. Should it be Por 15 or encapsulated? It’s getting wall to wall killmat 80mil.

PostPosted: September 23, 2021, 7:08 pm 

Driver side sills coming up. Look at that, this fits like crap too. Cutting more new panels. I wouldn’t pay for high dollar panels again. It’s a test fit I know but it should be much closer.

PostPosted: September 24, 2021, 10:24 am 

Steve, where did you get that inner sill panel? It is not shaped anything like the OEM style. Also, it is supposed to fit behind the body panel along with the outer sill. There is a double offset in the footwell body panel. The inner panel fits in the taller offset. The outer sill fits about 1/2 lower and between the inner sill and the footwell panel. This is adding an extra 3 layers of steel to the issue of the outer sill not meeting up with the door edge.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 24, 2021, 1:55 pm 

Looking very good Steve. Maybe with that big gas tank you might drive out to Duxbury MA sometime.
Paul

PostPosted: September 30, 2021, 7:20 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
Looking very good Steve. Maybe with that big gas tank you might drive out to Duxbury MA sometime.
Paul

Geez Paul I would love to drive out to MA. I may for the hell of it drive out next summer on a detour to VT.

PostPosted: September 30, 2021, 7:26 pm 

Last repair panel tacked up. The sill is fully welded and full bottom seam welded on the bottom. I tacked up the dog leg tonight, tomorrow I’ll weld it out. We’re getting to the drive train. So now I have to get my butt in gear and buy tires and powder coat wheels along with new weld on bearing ends for the 8.8 rear. Need some attachments for the 4 bars. Man all of a sudden it’s piled up. I have to add some chassis stiffeners too. OH THE MADNESS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: September 30, 2021, 7:31 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Steve, where did you get that inner sill panel? It is not shaped anything like the OEM style. Also, it is supposed to fit behind the body panel along with the outer sill. There is a double offset in the footwell body panel. The inner panel fits in the taller offset. The outer sill fits about 1/2 lower and between the inner sill and the footwell panel. This is adding an extra 3 layers of steel to the issue of the outer sill not meeting up with the door edge.

Chuck, I made that from 18ga. Ran it through the beader to stiffen it. This sill on the driver side fit great. I did have to narrow it up 1/4” because it was too wide. The inner panels I cut out were dead flat, no offsets and that foot well thing you talked about, I did not see. I have no idea why it fit so well and the passenger side fit like hell, both I did the same way.

PostPosted: October 3, 2021, 11:12 am 

Alright here we are. Cut out the front pan for the radiator and a new cap for the trumpet support. I managed to get a coat of Por-15 in the cavity and letting that dry. Also got a pile of seam welding in. The next dry day I can roll it outside and sand it all down and make it look nice

Last edited by Tundra 7 on October 3, 2021, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 3, 2021, 4:07 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

So much work to restore.
Eastwood makes a great seam sealer in a quart can. Unlike most that come in a caulk tube, you can open it a take what you need without the rest of it hardening up. Even the full welded seams should be sealed. I would just drill the repair to duplicate the spot welds and plug the holes. Much less work.

I look forward to seeing what you do in the torque boxes behind the seats and maybe a X brace underneath. Not sure what it usually looks like under there.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 3, 2021, 7:40 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
So much work to restore.
Eastwood makes a great seam sealer in a quart can. Unlike most that come in a caulk tube, you can open it a take what you need without the rest of it hardening up. Even the full welded seams should be sealed. I would just drill the repair to duplicate the spot welds and plug the holes. Much less work.

I look forward to seeing what you do in the torque boxes behind the seats and maybe a X brace underneath. Not sure what it usually looks like under there.

The boxes are battery boxes which are gone at the moment. One will remain a battery box the other will be a travel scotch cabinet.
If I do a diy lizard skin on the bottom do I still need seam seal? The bottom of the new flood I have a gap I plan on filling with Vulkem. The rest I could seam seal. I’ve seen that brush on, have you used that? There are a couple of body stiffeners I’ve seen on other cars I was looking at doing. No panhard bar if I can help it. I want to look at a top diff yoke, I think that would be easier on this body, we’ll see.

PostPosted: October 4, 2021, 7:40 am 

Tundra

When you mentioned your rear end for this car, I remembered a fellow MGB owners car. This may be of interest or not on what he did.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters.htm

Red

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next