LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted: October 4, 2020, 6:16 pm 

Hi Andrew,

Glad to see your update, I was wondering how you were making out. Too bad about the negatives but you're sure a good example of why it's not a great idea to have all your eggs in one basket. :thmbsup:

You'll find uses for the lathe. I don't find that I use mine frequently but when I need it it's there and sometimes it makes the difference between being able to do certain stuff or not.

OK, I guess that I don't get to raze you that the car didn't get on the road this past summer. :D

Ron

PostPosted: March 10, 2021, 9:18 pm 

sevenesqueron wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Glad to see your update, I was wondering how you were making out. Too bad about the negatives but you're sure a good example of why it's not a great idea to have all your eggs in one basket. :thmbsup:

You'll find uses for the lathe. I don't find that I use mine frequently but when I need it it's there and sometimes it makes the difference between being able to do certain stuff or not.

OK, I guess that I don't get to raze you that the car didn't get on the road this past summer. :D

Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm hoping for life to get back to normal, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit in my day job with how busy i have become. And yes, I've never trusted Aviation, even my back up to to Aircraft structural repair is not in demand at the present time. The lathe has been amazing, and opened up the door to lots of work, never mind the parts I can make for pennies, vs hundreds at the Kubota dealership. The Bridgeport mill still eludes me. Mainly because of space. I know of about 6 that need new homes.

Now for Airframe's token excuses why the car isn't done and what I've been up too. I'm also posting here for some external accountability to get this done!

I really have three major tasks for this car to get the "paperwork" started. windshield, bumpers, and seat. That should be doable this year.... NO promises as I always prioritize family and paid work over this project.

As I'm still on furlough from the airline, I need to plan for 2021 as if I wont be flying, and that means business expansion, on all three fronts. I do Lawn care and pest control in season, and metal/composite fabrication in the winter. Ill be putting a second truck on the road to handle lawn care apps so that means double the gear. Lawn care is fun and easy and everyone is happy to see the lawn guy, I don't do mowing but rather fertilizer/weed control applications, and slice seeding. Id say my forte is lawn reno's, basically your lawn sucks (more weeds than grass) and you want a new one, your options are sod for tens of thousands, or call me and ill have it slice seed and grow in a new lawn in three weeks! this has made me somewhat popular. The coolest parts is it all done with no synthetic pesticides, everything is "organic" by loose terms, and yes you can have amazing turf without chemicals for a lower cost than you'd think, you just have to put mother nature to work for you. I spray all the fertilizer in liquid form so the need for another truck and operator is required. Here's my front lawn I re-did 5 weeks prior. I'm handling over 100 lawns by myself with no advertising, so time to get some help.
Attachment:
lawn.jpg

Around the house, found some rotten wood under my front door that needed repair. Fun project, but more diversion from the car. There's also the bathroom reno that started with "I'm just going to re caulk the downstairs tub". That's been a year long project, mainly because my wife's home office is only 1/2 of drywall away and she would appreciate peace and quite while she works.
Attachment:
door.jpg

Since November, I have been flat out on metal and composite fabrication. I've been building bi-folding ramp tailgates for another lawn care/snow clearing company and working for two race teams doing various composite and welding repairs. Both teams found out what I do through a co worker, I wasn't looking for this work, but Ill take it. Its been non stop until now. Lots has been done, including oil coolers, radiator ducts, seat shells, Aluminum casting repair, air intakes, burnt parts, crushed parts, etc. These are decommissioned spec formula cars that are gentleman driven in unsanctioned events
Heres some customer work:
Attachment:
tailagate.jpg
Attachment:
tailgate.jpg
Attachment:
switch panels.jpg
this lug was completely sheared off at the hole, cleaned , welded, shaped and then peened with an engraving pen to resemble the cast look.
Attachment:
engine lug.jpg

I'm back to the car project and of course working on things I really don't need too. Like the rear wing and new end plates. Here's some pics, some carbon but its mainly 7725 twill weave fiberglass with black pigmented resin.

Also, with year end come new tools, I'm always buying and selling tools. I upgraded my square wave 200 to an aspect 230 Tig welder, glad i did because Im pretty sure I would have pushed the SW200 too far with duty cycle. I sold my SW200 for what I paid 5 years ago considering MSRP has risen and I kept some accessories. Bought an arbor press too. funny enough my wife hears less hammering now. She also appreciates the air compressor noise reduction I did with both of us now working from home.

Anyways here's some pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 11, 2021, 1:32 pm 

Nice to have an update on what you're up to.. a lot it seems! (I need you to come over and save my lawn!!)..

I'm going to have to steal your use of 7725 twill weave fiberglass/black resin for a few areas that show in my build (front floors maybe).. didn't know that look was possible with plain old fiberglass.. I know it's not CF, but it looks nice! :)

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: March 11, 2021, 1:52 pm 

Wow! I might be able to figure out how to turn that one on!
Here is mine

PostPosted: March 16, 2021, 12:47 am 

That is some great looking glass work !

Is your TIG air cooled of water ?

PostPosted: March 16, 2021, 10:02 am 

Thanks fellas.

CCrunner, poor mans CF, but still expensive. Have a go at it and keep us posted. Otherwise, have a look at turf type tall fescue, your in the zone where cool season turf wont make it through the summer, but will do well in the winter. Warm season grasses have different management practices than cool, so errors can be made easily. TTIF, or turf type tall fescue, is coarse and can be green year round. It retains colour and density in drought conditions far better than the blues, ryes and fescues.

Bent Wrench, thats a machine!!, I have no doubt that will outlive my machine. Plenty of aerospace and x ray quality welds were done with welders like that.

B85, cheers, I should add the caveat that the top ply is deliberately "dry as can be" to get that look. I use a heat gun in the final step to "flash off" the resin and drop the viscosity, any excess just falls out below. All plies below were fully wetted out. Be careful with the black pigment, it can hide micro air pockets and bubbles. I typically wet out and laminate with clear resin to visually inspect for these defects, and black pigment last.

For now, its air cooled, there is a Lincoln cooler available that is controlled by the welder, but that is turbo money! Also Id need new torches and cables. I have a CK TL26 that takes 200 amps like a champion, a 9F, 17FV, flexloc (china knockoffs) 9 and 17. I guess I fear a worldwide TIG torch shortage!! The reality is I don't do production aluminum work at 230 amps all day long. If I did, Id have a water cooled torch, and water cooled gloves!!

Andrew

PostPosted: March 18, 2021, 4:54 pm 

Did some work on the car over the last few days. I made a new wing mount, which is one piece, vs two. A plate was bent up to take the camber of the wing. Four vertical sections were welded in place. Still work to do including drilling the index holes for angle adjustment at the rear. The end plates were drilled off as well and mounted. Over all, its slightly obnoxious, but so is the whole car. I have a third brake light to mount back there somewhere.

Also, I made a scoop for my tractor. Basically eliminates the wheelbarrow for various chores and jobs. These are available for various garden/lawn tractors, but nothing for my runt GF1800.. I'd still make my own anyway.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 19, 2021, 11:31 am 

The P&H has a water cooled torch, Tap water off a Drip Irrigation regulator dumped into the flower bed.

High Tech!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57