LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California SB100
PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 5:32 pm 

Hi,

I been building my Locost. I plan to stick miata donor in it.

Can/Should I start the SB100 process even though I don't have a donor car yet? Does the SB100 license ever expire? I am not so sure on the timing of this project, but I don't want to get bottlenecked.

When I do get an SB100, does it mean I have a temporary license to drive/test the car on the road?

Post subject: Re: California SB100
PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 8:31 pm 

When I went through this four years ago, the process had changed a lot from previous reports, but I documented whet I went through here. At that time -- and I doubt it's changed -- you could not start the process until you had a VIN assigned and affixed to your completed or nearly-completed car by the CHP. The write-up that I linked to answers all of your questions, but briefly, they should giveyou a temporary operating permit (pink sticker) with your SB100 application, which will be about 3 months before you'll be able to actually register the car. SB100s never expire, although they could some day be revoked by the California Assembly, but that's unlikely.

PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 8:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Back when I did it, I started the SB100 process once I had a large pile of receipts, and well before it was drivable.

Having an SB100 number is only a small part of being able to drive it on the street, in addition to CHP inspection, light inspection, insurance, and final registration + plates.

PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 8:57 pm 

Very true. The linked article is called 'Registering a Locost in California', and includes all 14 steps. Getting your SB100 Certificate of Sequence is just one of them.

PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 10:51 pm 

Hello Hidden project - Have you got a first name so we don't keep calling you "Hidden"?

Nick has a very detailed explanation on his web site explaining the steps to take to get an SB-100 number. I just completed my second Locost in Calif. and the process is pretty much as Nick describes it. The process is somewhat fluid depending upon who you get at the DMV and also depending somewhat on the Smog Referee and who you get at the Brake and Lamp Inspection Station.

You probable don't want to start too soon. Wait until you are ready to drive the car and can get it on a trailer. The easiest part to me was the CHP and obtaining a VIN from them. They check their computer to make sure the drive train was not stolen. Sometimes it may take a month to get an appointment for either the DMV or the CHP (you don't want to go the DMV without an appointment, trust me).

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to contact any of us in Calif. Where are you located in Calif., by the way?

Good luck,
Roy

PostPosted: March 6, 2018, 1:31 pm 

Hi Roy!

I live in the San Jose area. This is my first time building one. I will read Nicks page. But I'm guessing I would be need a VIN(donor car) before I start the process. What version of the locost are you building? I am building with the Vodou plans.

I am in the middle of building the frame. So I have more questions about the frame. But I am looking at the horizon a little bit~~.

PostPosted: March 6, 2018, 2:35 pm 

You're right, it wouldn't do you any good to schedule a CHP visit since you don't have anything for them to check. My first build was a Miata based 442e Locost. My second was a Honda S2000 442e based Locost.

I'm assuming you plan to use a Miata for your donor since you're using the Vodou plans. There are others on this site using the same plans.

Good luck,
Roy

PostPosted: March 6, 2018, 6:18 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

thehiddenproject wrote:
Hi Roy!

I live in the San Jose area. This is my first time building one. I will read Nicks page. But I'm guessing I would be need a VIN(donor car) before I start the process. What version of the locost are you building? I am building with the Vodou plans.

I am in the middle of building the frame. So I have more questions about the frame. But I am looking at the horizon a little bit~~.

No, you do not need a VIN, the CHP assigns you one after their inspection

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 2:58 am 

I registered my car last year in LA. In order to start the process, you have to present a basically complete car at the initial DMV visit. This change was implemented in order to prevent the numbers abuse by the resto rod guys (Coddington et al). Later on, you will have to present receipts to establish the basic value of the car at a subsequent visit to DMV. I’ll try to upload a writeup I did of the entire process as of March 2017.

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 3:04 am 

Ask around for the best DMV office in the Bay Area for processing. Most of them are at a loss about the process. I know that in the LA area, the best offices are the ones in Torrance and Thousand Oaks. This is due to their proximity to large Cobra builders. You may want to check with a Cobra forum.

PostPosted: July 22, 2018, 5:23 pm 

Which DMV On the SAn Francisco peninsula is best for SB100.
I do not have a vin#.
Locost with 13B rotary and RX7 tranny.
I do not have a trailer.
Would a towbar work as well?

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 12:44 am 

If you are just starting out, you don't need to bring your car to the DMV, you just need to ask for forms REG 124, REG 5036, and REG 343. The first one (124) needs to be signed and dated by a DMV clerk. Then get an appointment with the CHP. You will need to bring the car to the CHP on a trailer. Technically a towbar would be illegal.

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 12:23 pm 

Any DMV office is a tough haul right now. You definitely need an appointment but even then it could take about a month or longer in the future. Do not go in without an appointment. Too many people trying to get the "new" drivers' license. Some branches are open on Saturday. Check ahead.

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: August 6, 2018, 11:16 pm 

Good info thanks.

PostPosted: May 24, 2021, 4:38 pm 

Would I need to do SB100 for a scratch-built motorcycle-engined 3-wheeler (reverse trike)?

@nick47 - do you happen to know what I'm in for with emissions compliance?

I know bikes aren't subject to smog inspection in CA, but I believe that to register they're inspected for factory emissions equipment, which would explain why all of the aftermarket pipes I've seen say they're not legal in CA.

It's not that big of a deal for a bike because you could just put the stock exhaust back on and switch it back after registration.

I want to use the Morgan 3 Wheeler layout with a transverse V twin up front, so any stock exhaust is incompatible, it would stick out to the side several feet.