LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 27, 2020, 9:50 pm 

Seems CA may actually be simpler for registration under SB100 than Nevada and it's several classifications. :(
NV classifications seem to lean heavily toward street-rods and hot-rods.
Asking NV-DMV is an exercise in frustration, they like to cite "Rules" that they cannot state an actual statute for. :BH:
A good example would be the stated claim that MC engines are illegal for a car build in NV.

I have relatives in CA and the Tahoe DMV is not too far away.
The question arises, is SB100 only for "Replica" builds, and if so, how faithful must that replica be?
Is there a list of accepted replicas, and anything not on the list is ineligible?
One of my builds is more of a street driven Super Vee than anything else, but could I call it a Locost/Lotus, even though it will be mid-engine?
And the Dio Tipo, it's a replica of the Ambro Special sports racer.
Cobra replica's seem to get special consideration, the Dio is no less a racing replica, just not so well known.
Then there is the Tatum, a continuation car, at least if it is VW powered.

I'm about to finally have a shop of my own ands some funding, so these questions are now more urgent than before.
Looking at DMV links is remarkably not informative when not doing the same builds as the majority. :roll:

PostPosted: December 27, 2020, 10:19 pm 

ARRRGHHH!
Just read the NV DMV regs again.
Is this still America?
You know, the land where we may do almost anything that is not specifically illegal?

NV DMV seems to have two possibly applicable statutes, Replica vehicle that is pretty clearly defined and Specially Constructed vehicle, virtually undefined.
Seems replica is limited to no more than 100 per year and no more than 2500 miles use. :ack: :BH:

Statutes clearly state that a windshield must have a wiper, but I did not see an actual statement that a windshield is required.
In the old days such imprecision meant freedom (AKA, "A loophole") but now?
Also do not see anything at all regards MC engines, headlamp height or spread, among many other details.
There is an unfortunate likelihood that the state may demand current Fed. rules be applied for certification.

EDIT: OK, looks like Oregon, of all places, is the nearest easy-button for title!
No relatives there, wonder if I could locate someone to help?

PostPosted: December 27, 2020, 11:08 pm 

Richard,

I'm going to PM you with two documents, CHP 885 and CHP 892. I got these in April of 2019. They are updated periodically, so they may not be the most current ones. You can get them printed for free at a CHP office. They once were online too, but I couldn't find them, so went to my local CHP office to get them in April of 2019.

CHP 885 = Passenger Car Equipment Requirements

CHP 892 = Equipment Requirements for Specially Constructed Vehicles.

They don't explain the SB100 process, but they do tell you what your car(s) must have to be legal. Here is the big rub, to go through the SB100 process you are going to have to interact with the California DMV, and a California Highway Patrol office. Not all the CHP offices do the SB100 process, but there is always one officer in each CHP region who does them.

Look for Nick47's write-up on the SB100 process. It's here on the system somewhere. It was done a few years ago, but it's a good place to start.

Some elements of what "passes" or "is required" will depend to some degree on the officer doing the SB100 process for you. Some are lax, and some are "by the book", so will not let anything slide. For example, I seem to remember Kurt (KB58) got by without fenders, but his car was over 1,300 pounds, which is the upper limit for "fenderless" vehicles. I'm sure he'll correct me if my recollection is wrong.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 27, 2020, 11:38 pm 

I'm going out on a limb here. As I understand it, any "Replica" should be built to look like a legal street-licensed make/model, not a racecar meant for the track. If you can squint and see a Lotus seven in your middy, then maybe it would pass as a "replica".

I registered my Locost in Illinois. In my case, I included in my package sent to the DMV, a period advertisement for the Lotus Seven to use as their reference. If you can find a similar period advert or photos showing license plates etc indication they were sterrt legal at the time of mfg, it might help.

I did some looking and do not quickly see a 2500 mile limitation in Nev. on replica vehicles. I did also see that Nev. only allows 100 "Replicas" to be registered "licensed ?" each year. I would read that as a maximum of 100 replicas on the road each year and not titleing 100 more each year.

Quote:
NRS 482.224  Replica vehicles: Limitation on number of vehicles for which Department may issue certificate of registration; application for registration to state certain facts.

1.  The Department may not issue a certificate of registration for more than 100 replica vehicles each year. The fact that the vehicle is to be registered as a replica vehicle must be stated in the application for registration.

2.  For purposes of this section, “replica vehicle” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 445B.759.

I cannot register a vehicle in another state if I am a resident of Illinois. So titling elsewhere might be out of the question. If Nevada is like Illinois, then you are dead there too.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 28, 2020, 12:35 am 

Pretty certain it is 100 new registrations per year.
We are a fairly sparsely populated state but 100 total would get a lot of outrage as we are almost as custom car obsessed as CA.
I doubt NV gets more than thirty to fifty applications per year though.

FIA Cobra, Porsche 917, Lola T70, Cheetah, were all not really a street cars either but do easily get registered as replicas.
In the 50's - 60's a lot of Race cars were also street driven, Ferrari 250TR anyone?
The Dio is a 1957 Ambro Special replica.
I am building more than one of them.

The middy based on an FV body and frame would be harder to call a replica, what are the Midlana types registered as?
For the middy maybe my Lotus 7 clamshell fenders would create a correct enough silhouette? :wink:

NV has a "Foreign vehicle" form for titling vehicles from out of state.
If I can find some help, or make a few long drives, titling in another state should not be too hard if NV is too obstinate.
I note that OR even states that inspections do not have to be done in OR!

PostPosted: December 28, 2020, 1:14 pm 

Quote:
They don't explain the SB100 process, but they do tell you what your car(s) must have to be legal. Here is the big rub, to go through the SB100 process you are going to have to interact with the California DMV, and a California Highway Patrol office. Not all the CHP offices do the SB100 process, but there is always one officer in each CHP region who does them.

I registered two Locosts with the Calif. SB-100 rules. In my experience the CHP only checked the engine VIN to make sure it was not on their stolen list. I trailered both cars in to the Dublin CHP office after getting an appointment. The officer looked at the car only to get the VIN off the engine and then checked his computer. He then added the Calif. VIN tag. There was no mention of the fact the car did not have windshield wipers or anything else of a safety inspection. On a separate trip, the brake and lamp inspection shop (local garage approved by the State) had me show them the lights all work and I drove around the corner from the shop and stopped as they watched just to make sure the brakes did what they were supposed to do. Don't forget the Smog Inspection referee which requires another appointment.

As Lonnie said Nick's write up is pretty accurate regarding the SB-100 in Calif. Here's Nick's writeup. http://mglocost.com/philosophy.php?noteid=8

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: December 28, 2020, 4:14 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Lonnie-S wrote:
... For example, I seem to remember Kurt (KB58) got by without fenders, but his car was over 1,300 pounds, which is the upper limit for "fenderless" vehicles...

I had fenders on the car for the inspections, but got the feeling that it wouldn't have mattered. No one weighed the car or even had a scale for that matter, so claiming 1,299 lbs is believable for most of our cars.

They also didn't say anything about wipers, but maybe that was because I had them on the car as well. I had the car 100% complete, in an effort to head off any extra attention!