LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3rd party welding?
PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 3:57 pm 

JAMADOR wrote:
terryjr wrote:
I use a Lincoln 210MP now but you don't need all that. I also have HF welders, I can't knock HF welders. I can say their hoods are junk. I got a backup Hobart hood at tractor supply for like $80 that's pretty nice. Take a look at Eastwood welders. A cart is a nice beginner project but that adds space your worried about, today inverter welders are smaller and can just be put on a shelf when not used. The bottle can be a bear but at least us skinny. Most of those welders will also let you run Fluxcore wire where you don't need a bottle, con is it spatters so more clean up, but pro they can usually penetrate better when near thickness limit and can be used on dirty metal even outdoors.

I had though about Fluxcore, but had seem some recommendations against it.
Like I'd posted, I've got access to a MIG (needs MIG gun repair), Flux, & Stick via my dad.

Nothing wrong with Fluxcore, I personally think it penetrates better for Les experienced welders. My frames Fluxcore and it's got 40k trouble free miles, most of those at 500+ hp on 450lb springs. You just have a lot more cleanup with Fluxcore, it creates a lot of smoke and bb's that need cleaned up prior to paint.

PostPosted: January 6, 2022, 4:23 pm 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Considering, at most, I'll be pushing 200 torqueless HP, if I go with a 4-port Renesis & likely won't be filling-rattling-ly sprung, might look into that route.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: January 8, 2022, 5:39 pm 

tibimakai. I'm pretty sure to have a build log one needs a build to log...

I wish I still had the time I had when I was planning my build (which was not enough time to start a build, but more than I currently seem to have)

I think I've forgotten more than I still remember of all the things I learned when I was trying to start this journey, now I just live vicariously through the great group here, hoping someday to actually get going (and re-learn all that stuff I forgot!).

As to the flux vs gas debate, gas is a lot cleaner, and much better for thin materials (opposite polarity gives a wider-shallower weld) flux is great for outdoors, less that clean metal (never weld dirty metal, right?!), and thicker material, but needs more clean-up after. Spatter guard helps. I used to do welding of industrial equipment with flux core, we used a lot of spray on spatter guard.

If you can afford a machine that is set for gas, it is more versatile, but a flux core machine will do 90+% of the work most people need to do on a Locost. Sheet metal is better with gas in my opinion.