LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
PostPosted: November 2, 2020, 10:37 am 

polyglot wrote:
Hey, 2020 calling. Anyone done anything since 2018?

What toolchain are you using for static stress analysis?

I was thinking the same thing! I just re-read through all of this thread and wondering if anyone has settled on a "do these 5 (or whatever number) of things to the book chassis and it'll improve it plenty for a street car".

PostPosted: November 2, 2020, 11:01 am 

terrellr wrote:
polyglot wrote:

I was thinking the same thing! I just re-read through all of this thread and wondering if anyone has settled on a "do these 5 (or whatever number) of things to the book chassis and it'll improve it plenty for a street car".

Search on this site for "aussie mods". It will cover some great mods for a book chassis. I won't try to replicate those well documented improvements in this thread.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 22, 2022, 12:52 pm 

terrellr wrote:
polyglot wrote:

it's been 2 years but as someone who's been doing FEA on my own designed chassis which is based off of a donkervoort and book chassis...
Much of my chassis strength has been added by swapping 16ga tubing for 14ga tubing, welded in sheet metal firewalls and floor panels, and 2x1 rectangular tubing vs 1x1.

However, gussets on the edges (not the middle) of tubing (round or otherwise) will be a not insignificant addition to overall chassis rigidity.

PostPosted: May 22, 2022, 4:15 pm 

CodySimonson wrote:
it's been 2 years but as someone who's been doing FEA on my own designed chassis which is based off of a donkervoort and book chassis...

Much of my chassis strength has been added by swapping 16ga tubing for 14ga tubing, welded in sheet metal firewalls and floor panels, and 2x1 rectangular tubing vs 1x1.

However, gussets on the edges (not the middle) of tubing (round or otherwise) will be a not insignificant addition to overall chassis rigidity.

That's so good to hear. That's exactly what I did to my chassis. I used the Linton Analysis, Aussie Mods, a great series of Finite Element analysis on 7-like chassis by Christopher Greatrix, plus my own basic knowledge of structures to piece it all together. There were no free FEA programs back then, so I can't claim any figures for torsional stiffness, bending strength, etc., but I know it's plenty strong for the 300 HP final engine I have in mind.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29