LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tesla Powered Seven
PostPosted: October 13, 2020, 6:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

How about compromising. Sell the engine you have, use the proceeds to help buy a >2000-yr drivetrain, all while keeping an eye out for an electric donor drivetrain.

It all comes down to priorities, how badly you want to be driving "something" now that may not be perfect, versus waiting for perfect to show up. Personally, I've found that waiting for "perfect" can cause the entire project to never happen.

PostPosted: October 13, 2020, 6:53 pm 

That sounds like the same predicament as Analysis Paralysis

PostPosted: October 13, 2020, 6:54 pm 

I've always been a fan of the torque of electric powertrains, or at least the potential.

Been following EVs for decades and thought about building one when I lived in the city. That was back in the days where DC was the only game in town. Now that we're rural, the infrastructure just isn't here and isn't likely to be for a long time (unless I were to build it myself at home). So I don't follow the developments as closely as I used to. And the AC powertrains have much more complicated (and expensive) control systems.

I think over the next few decades, they'll be a maturation and some degree of standardization that will make EV technology more available for tinkerers. Maybe they'll be more open source solutions to utilize the tech bits that are part of currently closed ecosystems. It would be great if there were a huge battery breakthrough that suddenly made EVs practical for everyone, although that still wouldn't solve the infrastructure problems in the near term. I'd love to see someone produce a standalone EV system that could be retrofitted into existing vehicles and that allowed for easy customization that really isn't practical in the mass market offerings.

I'm not sure it would be "low cost" but I think a Locost-based EV makes a lot of sense, especially if you have another vehicle to fall back on, which I think most Locost owners do. But being an innovator is seldom an easy path, but it's often a rewarding one.