LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 15, 2020, 6:35 pm 

Note this is a question, I want somebody else to tell me how to do it.

I understand the theory: you cut a hunk out of the middle of the PPF and heliarc it back together again, but specifically where does one cut it? And what is the resulting length (as in, how much shorter is it when you're done?).

I'd love to read a post that says "I cut eight inches [or ten inches, or a foot, or 11.3 inches...] from my drivetrain by cutting it here and here, see attached photos, and welding [or having a specialized aluminum welding shop do] the front and back sections together."

If anybody here has real world experience and doesn't mind getting specific, I'd be highly appreciative. I think my alternative is to make a steel truss PPF from bits and pieces, but that sounds heavy and complicated. I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge in these forums already, but the Search function ignores any word less than three letters long (such as PPF, for example).

So here's a couple examples found by searching the old fashioned way:

wkeeling took a foot out of his back in '09, but the photo (on the second page of...
<https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1715&hilit=short&start=15>)
...isn't very revealing. It looks like some small pieces may have been jigsaw puzzled into the operation, but I can't quite make them out.

Racepedals shortened his 11" in 2012, and there's a good picture on the first page of...
<https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12328&p=121482&hilit=ppfs#p121482>
...but again, I feel like I'm missing detail.

I'm going to PM both these guys and see if they've had any issues with these over the years. They both look like they do the job.

PostPosted: November 15, 2020, 7:37 pm 

Jack-
This doesn't really answer your question but this old post does discuss the PPF (although 14 years ago!). You probably have already decided to use the PPF even though there has been much discussion to either "do" or "don't".

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1284&start=30

Roy