LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 29, 2024, 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 12:02 am 

$2k for safety glass?!! That's remarkable. The best price that I've seen is twice that and then some.

The TZ2 is one of the very best-looking cars of its generation. What an exciting project!

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 5:14 am 

A guy I bought oil from, he was the only Red Line dealer in Omaha, Jack Beck is well known among the SCCA racers, class champion 2 or 3 times and a recognized ace Alfa tuner had the most beautiful TZ2 in his shop last time I was there. He said he was just setting up the head for a guy in Denver. The car was stunning. Pictures on phone that died 10 years ago. Truly I have never seen a car prettier than that one.

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 11:19 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I don't think that's for safety glass, which likely requires a second mold for the different-radius mate, then another fixture to hold them a fixed distance apart while optically clear molten plastic is injected between the two. I think, short of Lexan and its legality and wear issues, it's not financially realistic.

PostPosted: May 13, 2020, 11:05 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I don't think that's for safety glass, which likely requires a second mold for the different-radius mate, then another fixture to hold them a fixed distance apart while optically clear molten plastic is injected between the two. I think, short of Lexan and its legality and wear issues, it's not financially realistic.

In 2016 I was quoted about $4,000 delivered from a Canadian manufacturer for proper safety glass, which was quite competitive. Around the same time, a European vendor quoted me $4k Euros plus crating and shipping, which would have added a lot. If I could make a P4 windshield fit, Fran Hall would sell me one for $1k plus crate and ship.