LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 1, 2021, 9:07 pm 

Hi folks,

As explained in this post, I'm moving on from the attempt (rather the inactivity) of finishing my build.

For detailed progress pictures and information, please browse that thread.

Summary
It's a rolling 442 Miata-based chassis with a custom front and rear suspension. The rear suspension makes the rear end far shorter than a build that uses the Miata subframe. Included is a tidy 9.x gallon fuel tank.

Some pictures are below, all pictures, including loose parts will be available at the album link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ybE47nEWYdWJFYVAA

Drivetrain
  • 13x,xxx mile 1993 Miata 1.6L that ran when started. If you hook up the battery, it'd probably still start easily enough
  • Custom shorth-length driveshaft
  • Stock open differential
  • Custom halfshaft spacer to for track width
  • Honda Civic radiator
  • Custom rear-mounted 9.x gallon fuel tank with Miata fuel header and Wema fuel level sender
  • Jeep wrangler locking fuel filler
  • Complete fuel vapor recovery system (my garage doesn't smell like gasoline, and yours shouldn't either)
  • Magnaflow exhaust and catalytic converter
  • KN Air filter

Chassis
  • Miata uprights
  • Custom front suspension with neato camber adjustment bolts
  • Custom independent rear suspension for shorter rear end
  • QA1 Promastar coilover suspension
  • Rota RB 15" with Yokohama 195/50R15 tires (QTY 5 for the intended rear-mounted spare tire)
  • Wilwood brake pedal assembly
  • Wilwood brake and clutch cylinders

Interior
  • Kirkey seats, one 16" wide presently mounted on Miata sliders in the driver's position, one 17" unmounted, but I have the slider.
  • NRG quick release steering wheel
  • Miata Steering column
  • Complete set of Siemens VDO Vision gauges
  • Wiring from Miata is labeled, comes with schematics has useless circuits depinned.

Exterior
  • Front nosecone from Kinetic Vehicles
  • Appropriate fenders from Fenders n More with straight extensions sections of the rear profile if you want extended flat sections in the front
  • Windshield kit from KV
  • Bottom windshield seal from some Porsche site.
  • Rollbar kit from KV
  • Round headlamps with integrated turn signals on the bottom from Chevs of the 40s
  • Caterham rear tail lamp assemblies

Miscellaneous
  • Whatever OE Miata fasteners I have
  • Odyssey battery with hold down bracket
  • A stash of AN fasteners
  • Some extra gauges
  • Seatbelt kit for a HMMWV (no joke)
  • CAD files for the rear suspension and frame
  • Whatever documentation I have
  • A title for the Miata donor

What this needs
  • If you finish pluming the brake and clutch lines, and mount a throttle, this car could be driven under its own power. It's so close to that milestone
  • Needs a dashboard and the rest of the interior
  • Needs exterior paneling
  • Needs a thorough weld check

Logistics
Obviously, pickup from Portland, OR would be the easiest for me, but I'll be happy to arrange shipping, or even tarp and deliver myself for the adventure. Anything basically east of WA/OR/CA can wait until winter ends.

Cost
Maybe $3000? Is that reasonable? There's probably $4000-$5000 of cost in the parts. I consider this a hobby so my labor is free. Also happy to do some sort of lower up front price and a contract that says "if you sell this, then I get a portion of the proceeds".

Will I part out?
Sure! At this point, I don't have any qualms about parting out and, if enough parts are claimed, I can scrap the frame without too much sadness. I'd prefer to keep the fuel tank, frame, suspension and driveshaft together, because they are basically one-offs for this car. Everything else is fair game.

Parting out will be a "yes, we have agreed on a price for this particular part or set of parts, and, but I'll wait a few weeks to see if someone's interested in buying this as a whole project" affair.

Support
Happy to answer questions over intent and design choices to an extent.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by mattrogers on January 23, 2021, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 1, 2021, 9:34 pm 

Pictures of loose parts below, and attached to full album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ybE47nEWYdWJFYVAA

Apologies for not getting better photos of the fenders, nosecone or rollbar kit(s), I shuffled things around in the garage to pull the car out and boxed those items in.

Happy to take better photos of those items later when things are re-shuffled around.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 21, 2021, 4:13 am 

Sent you an email.
Look forward to hearing from you :cheers: