LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are We Dying Out Here?
PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 11:58 am 

I have to admit that I'm part of the problem with my on-again, off-again build, but I haven't seen this low a level of activity in years, maybe never. Does anyone else sense this too? Do you have any thoughts about why this is happening?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 12:16 pm 

I have noticed it myself, and I hope the site doesn't die as we would lose a lot of good information. The attendance at the Midwest gatherings has also dropped to a very few regulars. I know many of the younger crowd prefer other platforms for online interaction like facebook, but this hasn't seemed to affect the other forum I regularly visit, Grassrootsmotorsports, but they have a business/magazine behind them so that alone drives a lot of conversations.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 2:24 pm 

Yup, activity is noticeably lower but the quality is still there!

I will be here till my build is done.

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 4:45 pm 

I haven't worked on my project in what feels like forever.
I'll pop in every few days to read what others are doing, but haven't been posting.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 8:58 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

While I still visit, I've backed away from hardcore sport car design and building. After two car designs, heavy street traffic made me wonder what the point was, sitting at yet another light in an elemental car that couldn't be exercised as intended. Good tracks are a ways off, and I guess I'm just getting old, and find myself more recently interested in driving something with more creature comforts. Also, having recently retired, there are other activities filling my time these days, most notably being a home remodel. After that, a CNC router design and build.

PostPosted: December 8, 2022, 9:27 pm 

It certainly seems that fewer of us are building traditional Locost Sevens. They are doing different builds. I am one of them (after my one Seven build). Other sites may be better suited for them finding answers to their different focus. As for me, it seems that I go in spurts. This time of year, my other priorities take precedence I guess. I hope to get back to it after the new year. I do check in daily and read every new post. It is slow.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 1:15 am 

To quote Mark Twain: "The report of my death was an exaggeration." I like to think that fits here. Personally, I view recent slow forum news days as a seasonal affliction, perhaps coupled with global health concerns, economic news, the election cycle, not race season, ad nauseum... Meanwhile many of us keep beavering away in our sheds with postable results coming in spurts. And I love the diversity of the posted builds, geographically as well as design goals. I learn from them all.

If JD were still alive, we could count on some pithy grenades being posted to liven the dialog on slow news days... As it is, keep building and posting as you can (and chucking a few friendly grenades every now and then doesn't hurt either :lol: ) It's a great community.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 2:59 am 

Like a lot of you I check the board at least once a day, usually twice. Not the time bandit it has been but still a part of my daily routine. There are a few folk still building and posting. Due to my many health issues I'm not one but I do enjoy hearing about others.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 2:59 am 

Like a lot of you I check the board at least once a day, usually twice. Not the time bandit it has been but still a part of my daily routine. There are a few folk still building and posting. Due to my many health issues I'm not one but I do enjoy hearing about others.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 10:51 am 

I also pop in almost every day. I had stated the other day, it seems the number of builds showing up here is way down. I have been on this site for 3 yrs now, and it is the least number of active builds I have ever seen.

Mine has stalled since we moved back to the mid-west. Trying to combine two houses, complete and sell my 67 Mustang and restart my 427 Cobra replica enough to get it in the body shop for paint this winter. Once it is out of my shop, I will get back on the Locost over the winter.

If you are building a Seven for your own enjoyment, you don't mind the cost. But if you are keeping an eye on the cost of your investment- other cars may be a better investment. As said above, driving one of these in heavy traffic is not a lot of fun!

I cannot help but think that a lot of people have migrated to other sites do to the up and down of the site. I am on another site that has had similar problems, with kind of the same issues of attendance.

Is it a sign of the times or something more?

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 10:57 am 

I check in almost daily, work days at least. Since selling the project, and moving to a house without a garage, I'm just living vicariously through you guys.
Thought I had a line on an 80s BMW motorcycle that I'd have room for, but the owner was pretty non-responsive :BH: .

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 4:22 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
I also pop in almost every day. I had stated the other day, it seems the number of builds showing up here is way down. I have been on this site for 3 yrs now, and it is the least number of active builds I have ever seen.

Mine has stalled since we moved back to the mid-west. Trying to combine two houses, complete and sell my 67 Mustang and restart my 427 Cobra replica enough to get it in the body shop for paint this winter. Once it is out of my shop, I will get back on the Locost over the winter.

If you are building a Seven for your own enjoyment, you don't mind the cost. But if you are keeping an eye on the cost of your investment- other cars may be a better investment. As said above, driving one of these in heavy traffic is not a lot of fun!

I cannot help but think that a lot of people have migrated to other sites do to the up and down of the site. I am on another site that has had similar problems, with kind of the same issues of attendance.

I don't think the lack of new builds is due to the site issues. They may not have been around during the previous issues. Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if the current economy (inflation, work etc.) has slowed people down a bit in pursuing endeavors in their expensive hobbies? This could likely be confirmed by the kit-car businesses. Not the ones providing small car parts, but full kits.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 9, 2022, 5:04 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
BostonWill wrote:

I don't think the lack of new builds is due to the site issues. They may not have been around during the previous issues. Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if the current economy (inflation, work etc.) has slowed people down a bit in pursuing endeavors in their expensive hobbies? This could likely be confirmed by the kit-car businesses. Not the ones providing small car parts, but full kits.

I've been chasing a suitable Miata donor for the better part of 2 years. Inflation whether is COVID or crackhead pricing I can't tell which, has made the NA NB no longer suitable for a LOCOST (low cost) build in this area. That has me leaning toward a late model Mustang, either a 4 or 6 cyl 2006 and up.
Just the engine package size doesn't lend itself to a 7ish car very well.

Honestly though, this is the last PHP BB site I still visit. The others have all fallen victim to Zuckerburg's evil empire.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 10, 2022, 8:36 am 

I still visit almost every day. But have dropped out of all Zuckerbucks 2 years ago!!! Still a die-hard locoster, still making improvements, with over 66,000 miles.
I think the site traffic is slowing down because of fewer new builds. Unless someone publishes a new book or an automotive mag or show has something on the Locost to peak new interest, 99.8% of the people would not know that a locost exist.

PostPosted: December 10, 2022, 11:38 am 

I check regularly, but rarely post unless I actually have something to say.
Its snowing out...I think it might be near time for the garage queens (the Seven is among them) to take a long winters nap.
Paul