LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 12:14 pm 

Well, I ended up buying a 77' 924 for very little, and now don't really know what to do with it. Its got good parts on it and isn't running yet, but I figure its at least got good quality components to do a build with...

Has anyone heard of a 924/944 being used as a donor or used one themselves?

And the reason this is posted in this section is I am wondering how the heck I would mate up the running gear and thing. I'm guessing it wouldnt be as easy as a Miata :?

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 4:35 pm 

theres an alfa build you should read, another front engine/rear transmission setup.

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 7:21 pm 

Someone started building with a 924 drivetrain. I'm fairly sure it never got finished though. I happened upon a 944 (nearly the same thing), and decided to use it instead of the 8.8 I was planning on. I'm making some good progress with my frame, I love how much extra interior room the torque tube design gives me. My tunnel is 4.5" wide, all the way to the firewall. I have something like 17" of foot room.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=548

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 7:26 pm 

Ooo now this is interesting! Do you have any plans on how your going to hang the suspension and things, specifically in the rear?

*edit*

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 7:41 pm 

Pete Gossett started but never completed a 924 based build - worth a read

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=548

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 7:44 pm 

I would be very careful of using a "924" engine. This is the OLD Audi 100LS engine. A 924S or 944 would be a MUCH better donor. Check availability of parts and conversion pieces on this engine. You may have to make do with the stock CIS injection. Realize how old the vehicle is. If nothing else, check Rockauto.com for parts. For example - parts and labor for a clutch was about $1700.00!!!

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 7:49 pm 

I think Pete said a VW 1.8 bolted right up. Those are great engines and dirt cheap. You might want to check his log posted above.

EDIT! Crap I just re-read it and it was said to be an Audi 5 cyl. that was a direct bolt up. Sorry for the misinfo.

PostPosted: September 22, 2010, 8:02 pm 

Yeah I just read through it, the VW 1.8 would be a great idea. And kartracer, I hear ya brother! I don't like the whole idea of the 924's CIS at all, if anything I would try to carburete it. Right now its not running yet, but turning over.

Really my idea is to get the 924 running driving and stopping, then drive it until I get bored with it, and then morph it into a LoCost! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 23, 2010, 3:10 am 

I'd go with the Audi 5 cylinder when you build the Locost, or maybe even if you can't figure the porsche engine out. Very good motors, and they sound very unique.

I'm still building my suspension with MN12 (thunderbird) axles, knuckles, and arms, but adapting the axle to bolt to the Porsche tranny. I would not use the Porsche trailing arm design, it wouldn't work very well in a Locost.

The transaxle is very long though. It will be sticking out the rear of the car a few inches. I plan to hide it with a spare tire over that spot. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 23, 2010, 6:36 am 

firebat45 wrote:
I'm still building my suspension with MN12 (thunderbird) axles, knuckles, and arms, but adapting the axle to bolt to the Porsche tranny. I would not use the Porsche trailing arm design, it wouldn't work very well in a Locost.

Yeah I figured the trailing arm set up wouldn't be the best, I wonder if I could make a Miata rear end adapt to the tranny?

PostPosted: September 23, 2010, 1:02 pm 

no reason why you couldn't do an adaptation. after all the suspension is just a :twisted: bracket (hehehe) to hold the wheels in place, its more about having clearance for things to move about in their prescribed travel paths than anything else. huge number of sources for a porsche type cv flange/axle stub too (in various sizes).

PostPosted: September 23, 2010, 7:26 pm 

You can use whatever knuckles you want, the hard part is adapting the axle to the porsche tranny. The axle bolts on with a 6 bolt flange, so if you have a lathe, you can make a plate that fits on and weld it to your inner CV (insert death disclaimer here).

I wonder if any of the Audis that use the same tranny have a dual wishbone knuckle, that would be the easiest.

PostPosted: September 27, 2010, 11:11 am 

Very interesting, please let me know how you progress along with the thunderbird rear end!