LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 5:18 am 

Hey all, very new here was pointed to the forum from the Homebuilt cars Facebook page :)

Researching and planning for my first build and taking the advice from others and that is to choose my wheels and tyres first.

I think I will be basing my build around Miata front and rear suspension and wondering how do decide on wheel / tyre size?

What factors will influence the decision? Obviously brake size but it will be a relatively light vehicle so I don’t think that will be a limiting factor.

What are the pro/cons of going to a larger/smaller overall diameter?

What are the pro/cons of going to a larger/smaller aspect ratio tyre?

How does tyre width come into it? Longer = more traction? But the weight is spread over a larger area?

Thanks heaps in advance.

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 9:20 am 

Is that you Clint? TooBusy / Tommy Samuels here

My current build is running a less than ideal setup, like any build, compromises were made.
I started with 15x8 wheels from Craigslist that I saw and liked and Toyo proxess tires that came off my part time E Street Miata before I sold it.
Building around Miata suspension, the offset on these wheels is lower than it should be. The dished wheel looks nice, but the additional track width will cost me time in any slalom without improving any dynamic handling characteristics.

Still after a few iterations and much feedback and input from Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F
, I came up with control arm length and placement in 3D space that gives (something very close to) the bump, droop, and roll camber curves I wanted.
MiataV8 on here is a master at making VSUSP sing.

Next build I'll plan on wider wheels with a fairly large positive offset. It won't look old school cool, but it will be faster through the cones using an identical powerplant.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 10:51 am 

It really depends on your intended usage. Starting with Miata mechanics the 15" wheel is a great choice. There is a huge selection of wheels and tires available. But keep a close eye on your ground clearance, lots of 7 owners still love the 13" wheel options for track days/AutoX.

Graham

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 3:58 pm 
Always Moore!

Hermit wrote:
What are the pro/cons of going to a larger/smaller overall diameter?

Going larger gets you better wheel and tire availability but you are adding unnecessary unsprung weight for a light vehicle. Tire grip vs. load isn't a linear graph. The first part is very close to linear then to drops off quickly - you can add more vertical force from either a heavier vehicle or weight transferring to the tire but the tire won't generate a proportionate amount of additional grip. This is an issue in a heavy car but not so much in these cars. 13-15" wheels and tires are most appropriate since a 7 doesn't need the extra tire but choices can be limited and donor suspension parts may not fit a smaller wheel.

Hermit wrote:
What are the pro/cons of going to a larger/smaller aspect ratio tyre?

How does tyre width come into it? Longer = more traction? But the weight is spread over a larger area?

Wider tires hydroplane easier, take longer to get to temperature, and may be too wide for a light car to use efficiently since the tire may never get up to temp.

It really comes down to your intended use but initially a wider tire does not provide any more grip than a narrower tire. The wider tire heats less than a narrower tire and will take longer to get to temperature. It well help keep the tire at the correct temperature in a heavier vehicle like a production car. In a light vehicle like a 7 you may never get the wider tire to its optimal temperature. A tire that is above or below the optimal temperature will have less grip.

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 4:03 pm 

Depending on the uprights you are using ... tire rolling radius will affect the ease with which you can achieve target roll centres. I ended up buying second set of lower profile tires just to get closer to my target roll centre and swing arm lengths. But if you are just using Miata geometry do what they do ...

PostPosted: October 2, 2020, 6:14 pm 

Hey Tommy, yep it’s Clint.

My planned use is circuit racing of which my local track is relatively short 3km circuit with a 600meter straight. Possibly also some tarmac rally.

Is it true that a larger overall diameter will give a larger contact patch?

Is there a calculator to work out the ideal tyre width for a given weight of car?

PostPosted: October 3, 2020, 12:45 pm 

So you're building a track day car. Trailered or driven to, and from, the events? In other words, trackable street tires, streetable track tires, or track only tires?

I always come back to two main choices:
~23" OD. 15" wheels, 195-225 tires.
~25" OD, 17" wheels, 225-245 tires.

These are less about technical superiority than they are about practical considerations like availability and selection of appropriate tires.

One note regarding wheels is that you'll want to run wheels with a ~5mm lower offset for the 25" tires than the 23" tires to keep the scrub radius consistent.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 4, 2020, 8:30 am 

Hermit wrote:
Hey Tommy, yep it’s Clint.

My planned use is circuit racing of which my local track is relatively short 3km circuit with a 600meter straight. Possibly also some tarmac rally.

Is it true that a larger overall diameter will give a larger contact patch?

Is there a calculator to work out the ideal tyre width for a given weight of car?

One point that needs clarification here is that you can't change contact patch *size* with any variable other than tire pressure. Contact patch *size* is very simply the vehicle weight divided by the tire pressure. (units and all that, of course)

By manipulating the diameter and width you are changing the *shape* of the contact patch. That has a huge effect on handling based on how much of the contact patch can stay 'stuck' with static friction as the tires operate with increasing slip angle before the whole thing is sliding. Basically a longer, narrower contact patch will progressively 'break free' from the pavement at lower slip angles but also slightly lower grip levels than a wide, short patch.

You might think that the answer is to go to a bigger tire and then lower your tire pressure to get a bigger contact patch which is true. However, keep in mind that most modern tires are designed to work in a pretty well established 25-35psi cold pressure kind of domain and don't tend to work great down where our cars would probably like to run a big, wide tire.

I know it's counter intuitive that wider or bigger tires don't put more rubber on the pavement but it's the case. There's a great book by Paul Haney called 'inside the racing tire' that's outstanding for this and many, many more fascinating aspects of tire design and performance.

As for our cars, the biggest knobs you're turning with wheel and tire sizes, in order of importance, is tire availability (yes, most important), tire inertia, and vehicle mass.

I say availability because the biggest variable in this whole thing is what actual tire you use. If there are only 1 or 2 choices in the size you want that's probably going to end up being further from your ultimate goal than compromising on size but having dozens of options for brands, compounds, and categories of tire.

Here's a chart I put together when making this decision myself. I made a small mistake on the math for 16" inertia but I can only find this picture and not my original file so ignore those couple cells.

So, to explain the chart, my Stalker kit was designed around the 17" wheel which looks way too big IMHO but is common on Miatas and has tons of tire availability. I would have loved to go to a 225/40/15 where there are 50 something tires available but the diameter is so far off the design that they look funny in the wheel wells. These were my four options for similar overall OD. If you drop the OD the inertia changes are more dramatic so that's really the way to go if you're not stuck with existing wheel openings.

The take away is that by just changing wheel OD you really don't affect overall mass that much or 'first gear effective mass' which is the mass of the vehicle plus the inertial effects of the engine (BMW 6 in my case but they don't vary a TON), trans, diff, and wheels/tires. Basically going down from the 17's all the way to 15's only saved 60 lbs from the first gear apparent mass, not too significant. Plus, that drops with gear ratio so it just gets closer in higher gears. I went with 16's in the end just due to appearance and a screaming deal on wheels.

Alex

PostPosted: October 4, 2020, 12:30 pm 

One of the things I discovered when selecting my tires and wheels is that certain high performance tires are available in a limited number of wheel sizes. Older wheel sizes like 15" wheels were not being supported well. So, if you know you want a certain class of tire (like ultra high performance summer tires) make sure to check which wheel sizes those vendors support.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 4, 2020, 2:58 pm 

Tire availability is drying up for 15's, with the exception of extreme performance street and r-comp tires. The question is, how long will this hold out? In 10 years it might not have changed much. Then again, in 10 years, 15's could be like 13's are now. Ultimately 17's will be far more 'future proof' option, but unfortunately they don't always fit the look of the car quite as well either.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie