LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 7:18 pm 

I've run into a problem and I am looking for some advice on a more or less permanent solution.

I have a homemade fuel rail on my Spitfire engine. The rail is made from a piece of extruded aluminum tubing made for this purpose. The ends are threaded for fittings. The fitting at the input end is leaking where the rubber o-ring has deteriorated. This is a straight 9/16 thread with no particular provision for an o-ring to seat - it's just a flat aluminum face, like the back side of the fitting itself.

I can simply replace the o-ring, but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to a more permanent fix. The input hose is removed from time to time to insert a fuel pressure gauge, so there is some wear on the o-ring. Maybe it needs to be replaced every time the fitting is loosened???

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 7:43 pm 

That sounds like a ORB style fitting. Look it up and hit a hydraulic supply store for what you need.
Strangely enough one of my high school students just asked me today about the same thing for a rotary spitfire he has been building.

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 8:01 pm 

Teflon tape? Correctly named PTFE, poly tetra fluro ethylene tape. The pinky red stuff that is 2.5 to 3 times as thick as the regular white stuff. I know that it's meant only for pipe thread joints but, like the old lady in the Frank's Red Hot commercial says, "I put that sh*t on everything".

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 8:36 pm 

Not sure Teflon tape or any other sealant is a good idea. If some little bit breakes off and clogs a fuel injector, there could be a bigger problem.

Bill

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 10:23 pm 
The voice of reason

I don't know on my current cars, but I thought my old '86 Mustang had a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail. It looked just like a bicycle tire fitting. Maybe you can get or scavenge such a fitting and put it in somewhere. If you have a leak, and you are also testing pressure there are a couple of things telling you you need this.

Good luck! If your pressure is 30 instead of 45, that would be a huge amount of lean. Does it have a fuel pressure sensor?

PostPosted: May 30, 2014, 11:07 pm 

Teflon tape is fine, used it hundreds of times, works great.

Make sure you buy good quality stretchy soft stuff.

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 6:56 am 

LockTite works well if left undistrubed after it sets up. Gasoline has absolutely no effect on it.

Bill

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 8:00 am 

Or good old permatex [look for the 10 yr old tube hiding in the bottom of your tool box :lol: ] Dave W

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 8:02 am 

horizenjob wrote:
I don't know on my current cars, but I thought my old '86 Mustang had a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail. It looked just like a bicycle tire fitting. Maybe you can get or scavenge such a fitting and put it in somewhere. If you have a leak, and you are also testing pressure there are a couple of things telling you you need this.

Good luck! If your pressure is 30 instead of 45, that would be a huge amount of lean. Does it have a fuel pressure sensor?

I have a fitting that can be installed in the line to mount a fuel pressure gauge. I don't usually leave to there, but only when testing. That may be part of my problem, since breaking into the line also funds to loosen the fitting. I could just leave the fuel pressure gauge mounted in the line, I guess.

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 8:08 am 

BBlue wrote:
LockTite works well if left undistrubed after it sets up. Gasoline has absolutely no effect on it.

Bill

I kind of like the locktite idea. Do you have a suggestion as to which formulation?

Bill B

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 8:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Suggest you replace your O ring and install a schrader for fuel systems like this:
http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-f ... -mnpt.html

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 8:27 am 

I've got the replacement parts on order, but they won't be here until next week. Thanks for the suggestion

Bill

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 10:17 am 

Bill, Stop by your local Home Depot or Lowes or even Menards if they are that far South and pick up a neoprene o-ring in the plumbing section about the right size. I think all of their o-rings are neoprene. You'll be on the road this afternoon. If you need to get by until the right parts get there, perhaps a leather faucet washer? This will let you work on the lean issue in the interim.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 10:52 am 

Use a copper washer (or soft aluminum) not an O-ring if you have no recess for the o-ring to be trapped.
Using an un-trapped o-ring may/will result in a fuel leak as the o-ring can be pushed out by fuel pressure.

I cannot recommend tape or chemical sealers.

If this is a standard AN thread maybe you can use these washers with a built in o-ring.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Goodridge-SS902-09-Stat-O-Seal-Sealing-Washers-6-AN,1000.html

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 1:38 pm 

Well, I got the leak stopped. I was able to get a replacement o-ring at a local speed shop. That and some permatex thread locker seem to have the leak under control.

I agree that a compression washer is likely a better solution, but this seems to be working, at least for now.

Bill