LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phil's LS1 locost
PostPosted: June 3, 2010, 3:56 pm 

Congrats! Good to hear another locost is on the road!!

My RX-7 Locost Build:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7458

PostPosted: June 3, 2010, 5:09 pm 

Congratulations! Welcome to the club for Completed Locost's in Ontario! I hope I can see your car at some point. You should bring it to the Bronte British car show on September 19th ( http://www.torontotriumph.com/BCD/ ). I will be bringing my car there this year. There are usually 10-20 Lotus 7/ Locost / Caterham's there. The show is massive.

pmatolcsy wrote:
wind is louder than exhaust

Same with mine. That is why I made doors for mine. Keeps the wind noise down tremendously.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: June 13, 2010, 9:05 pm 

Quick update

I've put almost 500km on my car. No real problems. Car overheats mildly in stop and go traffic. I have made up a shroud for the fan which seems to help with the car just idling in the driveway. Will post some pictures soon

phil

PostPosted: June 19, 2010, 11:35 am 

Phil,
Your car looks great! I can't wait to start mine in a couple weeks when after I move into the new house. I was wondering what you ended up using for the rear end in long run. I understand you have a differential from a 2002 explorer. Did you end up using two left CV shafts from the same vehicle? What about rear uprights, hubs, brakes, and everything else? It looks like you have a very clean rear end and I would like to replicate that on my build.

Jesse

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 9:37 pm 

Re rear axle setup:

Components I used are

1)3.73 posi aluminum diff from 2002 explorer
2) 2 drivers side axles from same
3)markviii/tbird knuckles
3)explorer hubs turned down to replicate OD and seal surface of t-bird/mark viii/cobra hubs (leave the length of splined portion of hub untouched). Hub pilot(for wheel and rotor to be centric) and edges machined to fit cobra rotors below
4)irs ford cobra (99-2004) rotor and calipers)11.65"
5)custom caliper adapters(I made mine but you can buy them from http://discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/irst ... ackets.htm)

I'm thinking that perhaps I went a bit overboard with the brakes and could have redrilled the stock t-bird rotors (10.5") and saved the time not making the caliper adapters

Another option is just grabing the whole IRS out of a cobra(1999-28 spline axles ,2004-31 spline axles can't remember what year they changed) and either use as is or swap to tbird knuckles and get caliper adapters. It ends up a bit narrower that way(lookup track width of an irs ford cobra).

Cheers
phil

As a side note:
I was trying to get a good video to show you guys how great my car pulls now. I found a great little road that is away from any houses and is seldom used. First time I hit it in first gear my windsheild washers pissed themselves from the acceleration. I ALMOST DID TOO LAUGHING! Video didn't turn out (camera rotated on mount) but the sound clip ain't bad. Had to pedal it in third to keep it straight. Just got to work up the courage to start powershifting this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Qjo03hipQ

Phil

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 12:06 am 

Very nice, sounds good too! :cheers:

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 12:21 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Are your wipers on the inside of the glass?

-dave "wtf" hemy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 7:17 am 

Nice! Sounds great and it definitely moves!

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 8:29 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Phil-
She sounds GREAT!!! Must have scared the poor l'il camera really bad, it had to turn away and not look! :lol:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 5:01 pm 

Re Dave Hempys question:

No they are outside the glass, but my glass is the see-through kind. The wiper motors shaft point rearwards and the wipers push on the shaft from the rear. I had to drill an extra hole in the wiper arm to allow it to mount that way. I did it that way because of the way my rollcage is done ,I cant have a conventional scuttle and my hood rests on the same panel the gauges and wipermotors mount to.

Phil

PostPosted: June 21, 2010, 5:38 pm 
Toyotaphobe

pmatolcsy wrote:
Re Dave Hempys question:

No they are outside the glass, but my glass is the see-through kind.

Wow! How much is that kinda glass? I'll bet it's expensive. Keep in mind this is a Locost Forum.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 25, 2010, 1:33 pm 

I have updated my exhaust system. I'm using magnaflow 14641. They are quite large and heavy but they provide a very deep tone. At Idle its as loud as my drilled out Hookers. But it doesn't get any louder with throttle or load so I am quite pleased as they are a straight through 3" design. Much quiter overall than my drilled out hookers were.I can have a conversation in the car even while accelerating.
I have also fabricated a top. I eventually plan to have some zip out side windows as well.
Phil

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 25, 2010, 11:23 pm 

WOW - Amazing build, I just read your blog from the beginning...so impressive!

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 1:04 am 

Hello all

Well it's getting close to locost season here, so I've started thinking about this year's upgrades.
I`ve been busy finishing our basement most of the winter, but my car has been in my thoughts and dreams. Last year I mounted a 5" tach that I still have to wire up and I'd like to clean up the wiring a bit. I have been running without a neutral safety which has been fine so far( actually really handy for starting the car when not seated) but I do plan on wiring one in. I like Rods heated jacket idea and will add some 12V outlets for that and maybe an interior light.

The two major upgrades I'm planning are some lighter wheels( probably chrome fr500s) with some track tires and a camshaft,pushrod,valvesping,oil pump,timing chain upgrade. Now that our dollar is on par with US$ it should be a little more affordable. I hope to break the 400 rear wheel Horsepower mark but still maintain good low end torque, driveability and mileage.

While the heads are off, I plan on adding some heat shields to the headers( I've got two nasty scars on my right leg as a reminder).
When building the car , I choose to permanently attach the side engine panels( to increase rigidity ) but in retrospect it was a bad idea as removing the headers from the car requires either the heads or the entire engine to be removed. And now that the jack I've been waiting to go on sale at canadian tire for almost a year and a half has finally arrived , I'll be doing a complete nut and bolt check on the entire car before
I put it back on the road.

Phil

PostPosted: March 6, 2011, 1:16 am 

That body is just screaming for a glass or aluminum top...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next