LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: SteyrTMP's Seven GTR
PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 6:27 pm 

I looked at the throwout bearing, and it looks ok. The pilot bearing, however, was making bumpy buzzing sounds. I am wondering if that was wobbling around and causing other issues, added with the dry internals, that were causing the problems.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 1, 2012, 11:43 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I had not terribly different symptoms. In the end, it was the pilot bearing. Replaced the whole clutch and throw out while I was in there. Amazing how much racket that little bearing makes. The big clue (not that I figured it out then) was that the noise went *away* when I pressed the clutch. Or was it the other way around? Eh...been a while.

I'd say you're on the right path. Replace both bearings while you've got it out...they're pretty cheap. If all that fails, I'd probably just get a used transmission...they can't be too expensive.

FWIW,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 4:00 am 

Well, it's back up and running again. Apparently it was simply bone dry and hot, along with a bad pilot bearing.

So, I put it back together, bolted everything down, and got to start it sunday night before calling it a day. Today, I went over everything, and then drove it.

Wow. One thing I changed while it was down and out of the car, was the wastegate actuator. It was not correctly configured, so the wastegate was open a little the entire time, making it harder to gain boost. It would start gaining around 5000rpm, and finally reaching 7.7psi at 6750-ish. What a difference. I closed it correctly, and it pulls hard in 2nd on up. It pulls some in first, but I did not notice as much. Probably a good thing, considering the transmission. I have yet to load up my datalogging from the Megasquirt to figure how much it is pushing, and where in the rpm band. Sidenote: I can hear the BOV working now, rather than sitting there doing nothing.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 9:18 am 

Whew!!!!

Glad to hear things are back up and running.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 9:31 am 
We are Slotus!

Yeah, what he ^ said... I hope the fill up and replacing that pilot bearing fixes everything.
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 10, 2012, 8:29 pm 
Always Moore!

Great to hear it wasn't anything serious.

Any plans to change the oil after a few miles just to double check on things?

PostPosted: August 11, 2012, 12:07 am 

Yeah, I'll put some miles on it, then check the oil level, and once I can get some money, I'll fill it with Royal Purple gear oil. May need to replace the gasket first by the driveshaft, it may be leaking there.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: December 6, 2012, 2:57 am 

Thanksgiving weekend, I parked the Seven for the winter. With much regret.

I hope to finish the bodywork over the winter, but I am not placing on bets. My "allowed" time in the garage is very, very slim.

I have been slacking on the updates. Mid-summer, I spent some time working on the transmission tunnel, and while sliding it under the scuttle, apparently, I knocked something out of order, because the next time I went to drive it to school, nothing happened. I frantically tried to locate the source, but no luck. The following weekend, my dad came over, and we went over the electrical, and we thought we had it, but still no luck. After one more weekend, we took the scuttle off, and went over everything that was under it. Rather than trace the problem (which I believe we found. Somehow, a grounding wire from the secondary fuse box lead to the main fuse on the main box.... somehow, I think grounding to 80 amps isn't a good idea), we went over everything that was there still, and removed everything I didn't need. Since the Miata instrument panel was not going to be used again, all the wiring that lead to it was traced and deleted. That allowed us to remove quite a bit. I am down to two fuses on the under-dash fuse box, and in the near future, I would like to convert that to two in-line fuses, to get rid of the big, clunky fuse box lying around.

It looks a lot cleaner under there. I also shortened the remaining lines some more, and while shortening, untangled and reorganized them in the process.

It still needs a good tune. I need to find someone familiar with the Megasquirt and turbocharging; I am open to suggestions to anyone local (Ohio).

Oh well. I can't wait for the spring.

My little helper at Home Depot, trying to pick out countertop brackets.

She likes pool almost as much as I do.

A snack break from watching "Fiddler on the Roof" (her choice, out of over 400 dvds)

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: December 6, 2012, 3:02 am 

My project from last quarter at school:

Running:

Part of a drive home. Just a few seconds before this, some guys in a Mustang almost crashed into a partition wall while trying to take footage of the Seven. Heh. Pardon the change of angle.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: April 29, 2013, 4:06 pm 

Whoof. I haven't posted half as much as I should, and I've done even less work. However, yesterday I finally finished one part I've been wanting to finish for a while...

I guess I should catch up first. I graduated March 26th, from New Castle School of Trades, with an associates degree in "machine technology", which, of course, is a glorified way of saying I've gotten to get in trouble with lathes and mills. (I have to post some photos of the last project--a Roots square-piston engine)

I forgot to mention I graduated valedictorian with 100% attendance and a 4.0GPA... (I guess valedictorian is a little less important at that school, as apparently anyone with perfect attendance and a 4.0 can get it. Not sure how many managed to do that, though)

However, with the wife being pregnant and on bedrest for the last two months, I have been staying at home and taking care of her rather than working, so things have been tight. Ayrton Joel is due any day now--actual due date is June 10, but if we get past May 1, we will be lucky.

So I've been home with Aleyah and my wife 24/7... not quite used to it, and it's been a little rough having to do everything. I'll be glad when this is over.

We've organized a little more in our little room.

But Aleyah and I have been having fun every once in a while, down in the shop. For Christmas, she received a marker airgun. You take kid magic markers, and pump the compressor, and it blows the ink through the marker tip, onto whatever you want. So the other day, I let her have it on one of the white walls of the shop.

She's a lot of help. I wish I could let her do more, but for safety's sake, I only let her do minor things, like occasional drilling on the lathe, or setup on the mill.

Ok, back to the Seven.

After I made the Subaru shifter, I made one for the Seven. However, the Miata shifter throw isn't particulary short, so once I threaded the knob on, it added about 3 inches to the overall length, making it awkward. So, I looked around online at photos of Miata short-throw shifters, and figured out what I'd have to do.

On my last day at school, I made the basis of my short throw via a HAAS CNC lathe. I made the middle part of the shifter at home. I lengthened the distance from pivot points by .5. In retrospect, I would have probably gone slightly longer, maybe .625-.750, but it's ok. I think much shorter would have made it harder to locate the gears.

Then at home, I made the rest of the parts needed. I had to make a .5" spacer to lift the pivot ball. The pieces I had were about .495, and I really needed more towards .625, so I had to hand-cut a spacer. I'll put some silicone sealant when I do the final fitting. I also had to make an internal spacer to raise the plastic pivot rings. (both of those spacers were made out of 4" and 6" discs that I had to cut out on the lathe) I then drilled and tapped a 4-40 hole in the outer spacer, so I could make a small plug for the shifter to pivot on, since the original is now .5" lower, mostly hidden by the internal spacer, and not in play anymore.

I then mounted the pivot end of the shifter on the mill, and had to mill a notch. Since the plastic insert is curved, and I do not have a horizontal mill, or any other tools that could make the curved radius, I just had to manually adjust both X and Z axis at the same time. It came out right, and I did minor adjustments with a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder.

Now it was just a matter of fitting. This was actually when I realized I need to make the spacer.

Now everything is ready to go into the car. I may have to file down the original peg, or trim the plastic insert to avoid any contact, but so far, it does not appear to interfere.

Here's it on the car. Now I have to finish installing the transmission tunnel cover. It's folded, and I just need to trim one end, and then weld in the Dzus fasteners, and drill holes into the cover for the fasteners. I think it will come out pretty well. I might make a larger aluminum ring to make the mating of the shifter to transmission tunnel cover a little more attractive. I'm going to eshcew the leather boot, because I like the way it looks as is. No, it may not be a sequential, but at least now A) I can hold the shifter the way I like to, B) it's closer to the steering wheel, so less movement required of the right hand, and C) it's a shorter throw.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: April 29, 2013, 7:46 pm 
The voice of reason

That's all great. Your daughter is getting a cool education!
:cheers:

PostPosted: April 30, 2013, 3:10 am 

I try. She loves cars, trains, planes...

I think I've mentioned it before, but her "night-night movie" is Le Mans... we fall asleep to the sound of flat-12s.

Since she likes being around me whenever possible, so usually I take her with me when I go downstairs to the shop. If I'm doing something she can't help with, she sits and watches a movie while I work. Otherwise, she tries her best to help with whatever I am doing.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: April 30, 2013, 9:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Since she likes being around me whenever possible, so usually I take her with me when I go downstairs to the shop. If I'm doing something she can't help with, she sits and watches a movie while I work. Otherwise, she tries her best to help with whatever I am doing.

Yo, Steyr-
Whatever else might be "wrong", that one statement tells me that you are having a great life and so is your daughter.
Enjoy it...
Regards-
JD Kemp

PostPosted: May 10, 2013, 12:25 am 

Well, Ayrton Joel is 8lb 9oz. Haven't seen him yet, but the Dr. just stopped by and told me.

Dean Koontz

PostPosted: May 10, 2013, 6:40 am 
The voice of reason

Congrats, :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next