LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
PostPosted: April 24, 2011, 9:10 pm 
Always Moore!

dhempy wrote:
the only important word in that whole sentence is "runnin'". And oh, does it run.

Words to live by in the Locost community. ;)

PostPosted: May 30, 2011, 2:03 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Speaking of runnin'...took the 7 out to get a milkshake yesterday. First time it's been out of the garage since I've been Daddy Dave. Felt just as good as ever.

Can't wait to take the boys out for donuts... :lol: :lol:

-dave "faster daddy!" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: May 30, 2011, 8:40 am 

dhempy wrote:
Speaking of runnin'...took the 7 out to get a milkshake yesterday. First time it's been out of the garage since I've been Daddy Dave. Felt just as good as ever.

Can't wait to take the boys out for donuts... :lol: :lol:

-dave "faster daddy!" hempy

Hmm, milkshake? I knew 7's liked gas, and maybe oil, but I didn't know they liked milkshakes. :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: May 30, 2011, 12:11 pm 
We are Slotus!

photoman wrote:
dhempy wrote:

Hmm, milkshake? I knew 7's liked gas, and maybe oil, but I didn't know they liked milkshakes. :cheers: :cheers:

Nawww, Dude, they don't "like" milkshakes, they MAKE milkshakes. Coupla hot laps with a quart of milk in the passenger seat and VIOLA, milkshake!
:rofl:

Sounds like a fun errand, Dave. Good for you!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 15, 2011, 12:13 am 

Dave, I gotta thank you again for the ride/drive this weekend, it was fantastic... I never would have imagined it could be soooooo good! I would loved to have spent more time with the car... :BH:

PostPosted: June 15, 2011, 12:00 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

My pleasure, Krep! Be sure to come to the next Lexington Locost Lounge, and you'll get to ride/drive even more sevens! Enjoyed hanging out with you. Sorry your SO wasn't so enthused about it.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: August 30, 2011, 12:14 pm 

enjoyed your build!!! it has inspired me to build one.. just buying up tools at this point.. Tig welder is going to cost me a bit.

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 2:15 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Well...this is embarrassing. I haven't touched my YouTube account in years, and now I can't get in to upload a new video. This has been the case for a while (since Google absorbed YouTube), but it never really bothered me until now that I want to upload a video. It's so foobar'd I'm not even sure which email address is associated with my YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/dhempy

Can someone send me a message through YouTube? Or subscribe or add a comment to one of my videos...something so I get an email notification of activity? That would at least tell me which email address is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOKVah9gxqY

Thanks,
-dave

PostPosted: June 4, 2012, 6:53 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Dave-
I did it... How many other folks beat me to it?
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 18, 2012, 10:38 pm 

Dave,
I just got done reading your entire post for the fifth or sixth time, and have a few questions.

Do you have any pics of your MAF sensor plumbing, and what did you do with the vent/tube that is located just below the throttle plate.

What muffler did you finnally end up with?

thanks I enjoyed your post/videos (all of it!)

Build Log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10995

PostPosted: June 20, 2012, 2:02 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

dmiller1909 wrote:
Dave,
I just got done reading your entire post for the fifth or sixth time, and have a few questions.

You *clearly* have too much time on your hands!!! :D

I'll get out and take some pictures tonight or this weekend. Feel free to harass me if they're not here by Monday.

I'm still on my second muffler...a Jones Full Boar Turbo Tube Muffler. Review here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2741&p=97847&hilit=jones+muffler#p97847 It was cheap. $25-40, IIRC. It's pretty good, but I will build a quieter system "in my spare time".

My ultimate plan is to quiet it under the hood. First choice is to add a small turbo...not for power (already has more than needed) but for noise abatement. Another option is to add a big exhaust can under the hood. I'm actually thinking a largish can under the steering shaft, with input and output both at the rear end of it, feeding outside the car to the little Jones muffler. No telling when this might happen...Daddyhood is busy business!

I really think noise control is very important for these cars. Not only to be a good neighbor, but to make the car more enjoyable beyond the first 20 miles. And to prevent hearing loss. (what?)

Glad my build log is so useful and/or entertaining!

-dave

ps. Please post a link to your build log!

PostPosted: June 20, 2012, 2:27 pm 

Dave,

I still have the GSX 750 muffler I had on my Seven before the turbo. I won't need it anymore, and it not only looks good, but it sounds great too. It's not loud, and sounds more like a European sports car of yore.

You can have it for shipping cost. I can also TIG a different angle for the tip if necessary, and/or add on tubing from the front. I haven't looked at it for a while; pretty sure it's stainless. I have miscellanous stainless sections and bends lying around.

Nate
SteyrTMP

Dean Koontz

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: July 23, 2012, 2:32 am 

dhempy wrote:
I couldn't find a fitting that for the reservoir port of the Wilwood clutch M/C. Turns out it is a 7/16-20 fitting. Wilwood sells a kit for $60 that includes the fitting, hose, and remote reservoir. I have a free donor reservoir, but could not find the fitting anywhere in town. Pegasus has one for $25. This would be $4 at Lowe's if they had such a thing.

I got all flustered until I realized...I HAVE A LATHE!!!

A mere hour later, I had a perfectly serviceable 7/16-20 x 5/16" barb adapter. Most of that time was spent trying to remember where the lathe was. So I guess I'm making about $25/hour in the shop...not bad! (Okay, I did find one on the Internet for $3 elsewhere, but I didn't really want to wait until Wednesday.)
Hi Dave,

I'm at the point where I realize my current clutch master cylinder won't clear my hood. I'm going to order the remote compact master cylinder from Wilwood like yours. I'm not sure if I still have my donor's remote reservoir, but I'd like to know where you found that $3 adapter for the 7/16-20 to barbed fitting, if you can remember. I found a flared adapter at McMaster, but I'm not sure if that'd fit the master cylinder port.

I guess my principles dictate that I don't spend $25 on some tiny proprietary fitting in this situation. I'm still boggled that the kit with the fitting and remote reservoir is more expensive than the master cylinder itself.

Cheers,

-Matt

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 5:11 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

mattrogers wrote:
Hi Dave,

I'm at the point where I realize my current clutch master cylinder won't clear my hood. I'm going to order the remote compact master cylinder from Wilwood like yours. I'm not sure if I still have my donor's remote reservoir, but I'd like to know where you found that $3 adapter for the 7/16-20 to barbed fitting, if you can remember. I found a flared adapter at McMaster, but I'm not sure if that'd fit the master cylinder port.

-Matt

I suspect/hope you no longer need this, but Grainger part # 4HFH8 might work:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/THOGUS ... pter-4HFH8
That part is stainless steel, so no telling if there would be a galvanic reaction, or if the fitting would fit the cylinder.

If anyone tries this and it does/doesn't work, please reply here.

-dave

PostPosted: October 15, 2012, 9:41 pm 

dhempy wrote:
I suspect/hope you no longer need this, but Grainger part # 4HFH8 might work:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/THOGUS ... pter-4HFH8
That part is stainless steel, so no telling if there would be a galvanic reaction, or if the fitting would fit the cylinder.

If anyone tries this and it does/doesn't work, please reply here.

Ohh, sexy. I actually ended up just splurging for another remote reservoir master cylinder and kit from Wilwood. It uses a plastic cap to attach a hose instead. If that doesn't work out in packaging, I'll grab this part from Grainger. Regardless, either way, I'll have a master cylinder for sale shortly! Or perhaps I'll just buy the part to have...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next