LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 10:30 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Damn...those ARE cheap! I'd always planned on having signal mirrors, but balked at the price and discarded the notion. I'll drop $20 to see if these are any good. If so, I'll put them on my scooters, too. Thanks for the link...I'll review them in a few weeks.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 3:35 am 

Look forward to your review .. the challenge with signal mirrors for our cars is .. inverting the support stems .. and threading the wires through the stems .. for a clean look.

Now the cool thing on my car with Muth signal mirrors is that I added the Muth control module to make them function as brake lights also!

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 9:42 am 

solder_guy wrote:
Here are some cheap Muth Signal Mirrors on eBay .. stem would need to be inverted to work of course .. price is right ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220509789371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Rob

I made an offer of $10.00 on these mirrors and it was accepted! Go lower than that if you plan to buy them for the best value.

Thanks for the link,
EB

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 8:30 pm 

I used a pair of Ebay bought LED signal mirrors for an R6/R1, The mounting angle dictated the mounting location and they don't have a huge range of adjustment. I have them mounted on the scuttle and the wires feed up nice and clean. They are bright signals and are nice and high so they are more visible. I also have some LED bike frt signals mounted on the nose cone but the mirrors are much more visible. i can get some better pics of the mounting if anyone would like.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 9:50 pm 

Jimmy, I am interested in more photos and details about the mounting of your scuttle mirrors. I have mounted cycle signals on my scuttle but want to project more visibility.

Are the mirrors slightly convex or flat?

How is the field of view?

Chuck

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 10:58 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
I used a pair of Ebay bought LED signal mirrors for an R6/R1

jimmymunny
What year R6/R1?

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 10:07 am 

Rec'd my eBay mirror/signal yesterday and the look to be fairly decent quality. The wiring is external to the stalk so I'll likely use some black shrink tube to hide it against the stalk. Will also need to find some sort of wiring diagram to decipher the connection, there are a total of se7en 8) wires in the harness.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 6:18 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

MUTH SAFETY TURN SIGNAL MIRRORS
Motorcycle installation guide
http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000940.pdf

Car installation guide
http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000180.pdf

According to the literature, brake light kits, and heated mirrors are available as option so those se7en wire could be anything. I hope these are helpfull

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 4:16 am 

So did you get the Muth signal mirrors to light up? On my chrome Muth mirrors: brown wire was pos and black was neg.

Rob

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 7:34 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I got mine the other day. I don't think they're actually Muth mirrors, but what the heck.

The light doesn't seem as robust as I've seen on other vehicles...Escalade's and the like. It has a very narrow beam. It is focused in the right area, though, and should hit following drivers in the eye. These are NOT replacements for proper turn signals, IMO. But they are nice additions. Not sure yet if they'll be visible from my own driver's seat as a signal indicator yet. I hope so.

The wiring is WEIRD! Black and red to the left mirror. OK.

ROY G. BIV to the right mirror!!! WTF? Seven freakin' wires to a turn signal? Fortunately, the red and black behave as expected. I didn't bother fooling around with the rest of the wires...they'll get clipped when I get there. Muth's instructions show nothing of the sort.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

PostPosted: March 29, 2010, 3:02 am 

So did you mount these signal mirrors on your car?

PostPosted: March 29, 2010, 12:45 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Yes. The signals work well. The mirrors are a bit small. Or more accurately, they are flat, which yields a very narrow field of view mounted that far from the driver's head. On "my next car," I'll go with convex mirrors on the sides...maybe even for the center mirror. The problem with that is you can't have a dimmable, convex center mirror, and I don't know if they have convex side mirrors w/LED's embedded.

I think a good alternative is to use convex side mirrors, and wrap some flexible LED strips around the perimeter. Maybe drill a series of holes in the housing for forward-facing LED's, as well.

I have two more pair of these that I plan on putting on my motorcycles...someday.

-dave

PostPosted: March 29, 2010, 1:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

On my last build I used one of those curved center mirrors. Won't do that again... as it makes everything, including police cars, appear so far back that:
A. You can't tell they're police cars.
2. They're "closer than they appear" - close enough to see that unsafe lane-change...

Next time I'll use a Wink segmented mirrors.

PostPosted: March 29, 2010, 2:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

KB58 wrote:
On my last build I used one of those curved center mirrors. Won't do that again... as it makes everything, including police cars, appear so far back that:
A. You can't tell they're police cars.
2. They're "closer than they appear" - close enough to see that unsafe lane-change...

Next time I'll use a Wink segmented mirrors.

AMEN!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.